What water shortage! What water shortage!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1

    Lord of Ruin

    Diver is NOT a disguised employee

    Diver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    22,873
    Last edited by Diver; 10th June 2012 at 05:32.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

  2. #2

    My post count is Majestic

    MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

    MarillionFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    35,765

    Default

    But that's Wales innit. They've got loads of it.

    Frankly the cheapest way to get water from Wales to say Devon would be to line up all the Welsh unemployed and get them to pass water bucket by bucket down the line to fill up the Resevoirs on Dartmoor. And before someone jumps in I can see the argument against. Yes, there's more Welsh unemployed then is needed to cover the distance so I was thinking the other half can be on the other side of the road passing back the empty buckets.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

  3. #3

    Contractor Among Contractors

    bless 'em all has no reputation


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,647

    Default

    Oh the humanity! All of those caravans destroyed, no longer to create tail-backs throughout the nation.


  4. #4

    bored now

    eek is a fount of knowledge

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    22,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    But that's Wales innit. They've got loads of it.

    Frankly the cheapest way to get water from Wales to say Devon would be to line up all the Welsh unemployed and get them to pass water bucket by bucket down the line to fill up the Resevoirs on Dartmoor. And before someone jumps in I can see the argument against. Yes, there's more Welsh unemployed then is needed to cover the distance so I was thinking the other half can be on the other side of the road passing back the empty buckets.
    But that means the Welsh would have to leave the valleys and to be frank we can't have that. there is a reason why the Welsh can be shot if seen after dark in Chester and 800 years of history confirms the fact that they should be left where they were.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  5. #5

    More fingers than teeth

    TimberWolf is too good to be a permie

    TimberWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17,505

    Default

    A fair number of trees were blown down and branches litter the landscape around here.

  6. #6

    Lord of Ruin

    Diver is NOT a disguised employee

    Diver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    22,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    But that means the Welsh would have to leave the valleys and to be frank we can't have that. there is a reason why the Welsh can be shot if seen after dark in Chester and 800 years of history confirms the fact that they should be left where they were.
    I believe that the original law was a Welsh bowman found within range of the city walls could be shot from the city wall by crossbowmen of Chester.
    As the Welsh bow (Now called the English Longbow by the thieving English)) had a range of 180 to 270 yards and the crossbow a range of 350-400 yards, it was felt a suitable deterrent to stop the rogues of Bangor and the surounding area bringing bows too close to the city walls.

    While bows have been used for hunting and warfare for thousands of years, few achieved the fame of the English WELSH Longbow. The weapon first rose to prominence when it was deployed by the Welsh during the Norman English invasions of Wales. Impressed by its range and accuracy as well as the speed of delivery, the English adopted it and began conscripting Welsh archers into military service. The longbow ranged in length from four feet to in excess of six. British sources usually require the weapon to be longer than five feet to qualify.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

  7. #7

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    29,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bless 'em all View Post
    Oh the humanity! All of those caravans destroyed, no longer to create tail-backs throughout the nation.

    Problem is next year they will all get new ones with their insurance payouts and then they will have to test them out......
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  8. #8

    bored now

    eek is a fount of knowledge

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    22,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver View Post
    I believe that the original law was a Welsh bowman found within range of the city walls could be shot from the city wall by crossbowmen of Chester.
    As the Welsh bow (Now called the English Longbow by the thieving English)) had a range of 180 to 270 yards and the crossbow a range of 350-400 yards, it was felt a suitable deterrent to stop the rogues of Bangor and the surounding area bringing bows too close to the city walls.
    From history - Was it legal to hang any Welshman found in Chester after sunset? - Skeptics

    Cheshire West & Chester council says

    The story about the Welsh being excluded from Chester after dark originated during the Glyndwr rebellion of 1403. Henry, Prince of Wales (future Henry V) was also Earl of Chester and on 4 Sept 1403 he ordered that all Welsh people and Welsh sympathisers should be expelled from the City; none should enter the city before sunrise or stay after sunset on pain of decapitation (not hanging, but it would have the same effect!). There are records of people standing surety for the good behaviour of Welshmen arrested under the order. The text books don't refer to anyone ever paying the maximum penalty for this 'crime'. Concern over 'the Welsh threat' continued into the 15th century and Chester was seen very much as a border town. There is no record that Henry V's order was ever repealed.
    There was a link to chester council's website but that's now gone.


    Either way if your welsh bog off and stay there.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  9. #9

    More fingers than teeth

    TimberWolf is too good to be a permie

    TimberWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17,505

    Default

    What did the Normans ever do for us?

  10. #10

    Godlike

    Doggy Styles is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
    What did the Normans ever do for us?
    Chased all welshmen out of England. Or was that the Romans?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •