• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mandarin and poetry from age 9

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    They are as useful as each other.

Why? Once someone gets used to learning another language young picking up another one isn't hard.
    Would certainly agree on this, if for example you have learnt a language such as French a romance language it gives you a good basis for other languages such as Spanish or Italian.

I've been learning Dutch for a while now and while it won't have much use outside of certain countries and certainly only in The Netherlands, South Africa and certain former carribean colonies of the Netherlands. But it will help with German and French from a grammatical point of view ( already speak French).

Though why the OP has a problem with kids learning a foreign language at an earlier age is beyond me??

Britain and Ireland are certainly behind the rest of Europe in their attitude towards encouraging youngsters to ensure they are fluent in another language. I don't know how many other Europeans I've met and they can at least speak one other language.

Why on earth are we so insular in our attitude towards languages?
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      Why on earth are we so insular in our attitude towards languages?
      Because we speak the dominant language of the world, it is more beneficial for the rest of the world to learn our language than it ever could be for us to learn just one of theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
        Because we speak the dominant language of the world, it is more beneficial for the rest of the world to learn our language than it ever could be for us to learn just one of theirs.
        You speak the dominant language of the world until you want to do business or get a job with someone.

I have multi-lingual friends and family who wouldn't have got their jobs if they didn't speak an additional language. That's how they stood out from other applicants.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
          Btw the empire folded years ago and while English may be used internationally as a business language currently, it is slowly being replaced by domestic languages.
          Last edited by norrahe; 10 June 2012, 14:35.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

You speak the dominant language of the world until you want to do business or get a job with someone.

I have multi-lingual friends and family who wouldn't have got their jobs if they didn't speak an additional language. That's how they stood out from other applicants.
            WSES

If you want to get ahead in Europe, you certainly have to have an additional (if not two additional) languages otherwise you will not make the cut for gigs.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Though why the OP has a problem with kids learning a foreign language at an earlier age is beyond me??
              Perhaps because the OP didn't say anything of the sort. As far as I'm concerned Mandarin is fine, but poetry is tulip.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Perhaps because the OP didn't say anything of the sort. As far as I'm concerned Mandarin is fine, but poetry is tulip.
                Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Why? Once someone gets used to learning another language young picking up another one isn't hard.
                  There are more general cognitive benefits to bilingualism as well. It actually makes you smarter.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Very true. Arguing that one language should be learned because it is more widely used than another misses the point.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                      Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye
                      Go on then, show us your best poem. Hopefully a short one

Comment

Working...
                      X