• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Its no wonder the world's cooling on global warming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its no wonder the world's cooling on global warming

Very good article this by James Delingpole in today's SM.

We are entering a period of ‘weak’ solar cycles, and this decline in activity is expected* to continue until about 2040, by which time – according to some pessimistic predictions – global mean temperatures will have fallen by 2C.
    For many of us, in other words, ‘global warming’ is something we will never experience again in our lifetime. From now on we can expect drabber, wetter summers and colder winters.
    And as if that weren’t depressing enough, here are our political leaders regulating and carbon taxing our economies as if the non-existent global warming problem was still something to fear.
    Yes indeed - how do they manage to get away with fleecING US with these green taxes and ruin our countryside with those hideous monstrosities?

The fact that solar cycles have the major impact does not preclude an additional manmade effect, the problem may come at the next solar peak.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Wonder if the summers were as awful as this during the Maunder Minimum?

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post

Yes indeed - how do they manage to get away with fleecING US with these green taxes and ruin our countryside with those hideous monstrosities?
        Good report, but again it confuses "Global Warming" which is to do with the old CFC / land warming and 80's/90's schooling - and Climate Change, which is to do with more extreme patterns in weather.

Not jumping on the case on any particular side, but it does grind my gears when people play with this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
          Good report, but again it confuses "Global Warming" which is to do with the old CFC / land warming and 80's/90's schooling - and Climate Change, which is to do with more extreme patterns in weather.

Not jumping on the case on any particular side, but it does grind my gears when people play with this stuff.
          I thought climate change was global warming rebranded? All used to be called the greenhouse effect in my day.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
            I thought climate change was global warming rebranded? All used to be called the greenhouse effect in my day.
            It used to be called the new ice age in my day.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post

There are a load on the hills near us. I actually like them. Each to their own I suppose!
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
                Nah it's not. Greenhouse effect was rebranded global warming and was all due to CFC and the loss of the ozone layer above Australia - climate change is the popular/unpopular CO2 effect.

Just making that statement sounds silly - but I suppose Obfuscation / confusion works ey?

Comment

On no, you wakened the beast

Well yes, I guess it is 'very good' by the standard of Delingtool and the Mail. Which means that every single statement in it is wrong, and he knows it ....

....there has been no ‘global warming’ since 1998,
                  Moron. The GW signal is a gradual rise, superimposed on top of which we still have natural variation, with influences such as the ENSO cycle (El Nino, La Nina), the solar cycle, not to mention weather. Delingtool cherry-picks 1998 because it featured the most powerful El Nino of the last century, pushing temperatures 2 standard deviations above the trend line. Since then the ENSO has been predominantly cool and we have had a solar cycle minimum. This is a bit like picking an unusually hot day in March, an unusually cold day in June, drawing a straight line between them and claiming that summer has vanished...

Professor Phil Jones – of the University of East Anglia’s Climatic Research Unit – conceded in 2010 that there had been no ‘statistically significant warming’ between 1995 and 2009.

In the simplest, human terms, therefore, no one younger than 14 years old has experienced global warming.
                  Ignoramus. This is not the same as 'insignificant warming'. Statistical significance is usually interpreted as 95% confidence. That is, there has to be less than a one in 20 chance that the calculated trend is a fluke rather than an actual increase. This requires a minimum number of data points, which was not achieved in the period Jones was asked about. It is another cherry-pick because the warming trend did achieve significance shortly afterwards and pretty much continues the trend pre-1995...

Jones
                  : "The key statement here is 'not statistically significant'. It wasn't for these years at the 95% level, but it would have been at the 90% level. If you add the value of 0.52 in for 2010 and look at 1995 to 2010 then the warming is statistically significant at the 95% level."
                  Arctic sea ice is recovering ...
                  Just unbelievable. For temperatures Delingfool relied on the 1998 outlier, for ice he uses 2007 when the arctic ice coverage collapsed, due to increased temperatures and unusual wind patterns blowing the ice south. Here's Bargepole's 'recovery' ...

Since then there has been a slight rebound, although last year was within a gnats of 2007. Had Delingpole glanced at the chart for this year, he might have used the word 'crisis' rather than 'recovery'.

And so it goes on. Delingpole's 'converted green', Fritz Varenholt far from being 'Germany’s answer to Jonathon Porritt or George Monbiot is a in fact an employee of energy utility RWE and formerly Shell Oil, he has a PhD in chemistry but no special expertise in climate science. And he's written a book. Whoop-de-do.

No big surprises here, Delingpole admits to never opening a scientific journal, being rather 'an interpreter of interpretations'. A fitting climate science correspondent for the Mail on Sunday you might well think.
                  My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                    There are a load on the hills near us. I actually like them. Each to their own I suppose!
                    general purpose

They are also giant fans cooling the air down and propellers pushing the UK further away from Europe.

Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X