• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Identity Theft

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identity Theft

Someone's nicked £2000 in numerous small amounts from our joint account using the missus' card. All done via a short term loan company.

The bank have repaid the cash and are raising a dispute with the loan company concerned, but I can't figure out how they did it. The wife rarely uses that card and all the statements go to me and are filed or shredded.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Someone's nicked £2000 in numerous small amounts from our joint account using the missus' card. All done via a short term loan company.

The bank have repaid the cash and are raising a dispute with the loan company concerned, but I can't figure out how they did it. The wife rarely uses that card and all the statements go to me and are filed or shredded.
    When it happened to me it was a bank employee.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      I'd not thought of that. Could be.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

So how does that work then?

Someone borrows money from the loan company and sets up your missus account as the Debit account?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Same happened with me, took a huge chuck out of current account with a payment reference of 'holiday money'.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            So how does that work then?

Someone borrows money from the loan company and sets up your missus account as the Debit account?
            That's what it looks like. Several small loans of varying amounts (the largest was £900) plus several fixed £5.00 amounts that my bank reckon could be credit checks. Well the credit checks certainly worked!

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              ...The bank have repaid the cash and are raising a dispute with the loan company concerned..
              Is that when they send the heavy lads* round to "have a word".

* Armed with sledgehammers and hobbling posts.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Happened to me around Christmas time, scumbag had set up a new bank account in my name with Tesco and a direct debit at my bank.

They got 3.5k before I noticed, all sorted within hours once I contacted my bank.

What really annoyed me was Tesco's attitude to it all, they had allowed this to happen yet they seemed completely unsympathetic and just blamed 'the system' for letting it slip through when they clearly hadn't done proper checks.

My advice would be to join Credit expert and check out all the entries to see who was at fault, the bank should have already registered your wife with CIFAS which puts extra checks in place.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Had similar with a new and yet unused credit card. The only way to get the details were from the bank. Now which counties are the call centres for HSBC?
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    My advice would be to join Credit expert and check out all the entries to see who was at fault, the bank should have already registered your wife with CIFAS which puts extra checks in place.
                    Credit Expert is £15 per month - is it worth it?

Comment

Working...
                    X