• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new future toy.. the Intel NUC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Me too, in fact, you're older than I am.
    Yep. I know that.

in "not keen on having a freshly born sprog at my age" mode
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      Yep. I know that.

in "not keen on having a freshly born sprog at my age" mode
      You'll love it.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
        Would it surprise you to learn that more ARM processors have been sold than 80x86 compatibles?
        Nope, because I already knew that.

I wasn't asking a question, I was making the point that Intel's R&D covers a lot more than "catching up with ARM". Most importantly it's directed at ensuring Intel remains the worlds #1 semiconductor manufacturer, which means among other things that it's directed at ensuring that Intel is first to market with new process technologies that will enable it to produce SoC with higher performance and lower power consumption than Samsung, Qualcomm and the other ARM based chip shops. It's these guys revenue that Intel is chasing, not ARM's per se.

Outside of the tablet / smartphone market Intel aren't interested in ARM's business as it's all about licensing IP for use in ASICs in things like DVD players and set top boxes, and Intel are a semiconductor manufacturing firm. The main competition in that segment is from MIPS & POWER, not x86.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
        X