• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NHS experience

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Yep, then when it all goes wrong, your doctor will probably be on the golf course.
    When they eventually get through to the doctor after some delay, they will get an NHS ambulance to cart you to the nearest NHS A&E hospital.

If you need to go private then make sure your care takes place in an NHS hospital which has an A&E. Also avoid having operations on Fridays if you have to stay in overnight.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
      The NHS is appalling. There should be a way of opting out of paying for it which mandates that you must have alternative cover.

Compare that to my NHS doctor, I ring up on Monday and first appointment is Friday. I could either be well by then or dead.
      Whatever...

The NHS is far from appalling , the work they do "Free at point of use" is amazing - if you had one of the 22% of children born with "complications" you may think differently.

Regarding the NHS doctor, they aren't a call out service - you aren't that special.

If you think theres a risk of death then go to a drop in centre or call an ambulance. Private sector will call you an ambulance to an NHS hospital anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        As a cost cutting exercise I went NHS for the dentist. Over 18 months it cost me £230 for obvious poor quality work. Two months since that last checkup that gave me the all clear, the NHS work has failed. As a result I am not going back there and instead I am going back to my old dentist in Prague. Prices in Prague have gone up considerably but at least the work is first class.
        Now NHS dentists... now you do have a point.

Dentists seem to be bandits, I don't mean this as a racial slur of any kind - but it is a profession in the UK that seems to only attract non EU nationals straight from training ; before they go onto maxiplasty??!!??, facial trauma reconstruction or something.

The UK national dentists seem to immediately go private and spend all their time bleaching teeth and producing dentures.

The cost difference between NHS and Private , for me, is not that great either - I should go private (I am missing a lot of teeth due to my psycho sporting history and have dentures etc; it is not uncommon for a dental trip on NHS to still cost me over £300)

Comment

To summarise my limited experience of the NHS. At the sharp end (I mean that literally - when operations or emergency stuff needs doing) it is excellent. All the stuff around getting to that operation, and the aftercare can be variable and is usually very mediocre.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            By contrast...

I was having issues swallowing (yes very funny) so I called my GP and got an appointment the next day. I was referred to a nearby hospital for an endoscopy the day after which involved hardly any waiting, a nice team of people and a clear diagnosis.

Maybe the NHS is only good for more urgent stuff? I know NF was very impressed
            How was it? I've got to have one, and have to decide whether or not to have sedation. They do a throat spray thing anyway. I think I'd prefer to know what's going on, but heard it can be pretty horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
              How was it? I've got to have one, and have to decide whether or not to have sedation. They do a throat spray thing anyway. I think I'd prefer to know what's going on, but heard it can be pretty horrible.
              I had to have one of those years ago. It wasn't very pleasant, unfortunately, but survivable. With regard to sedation, they told me it was a hypnotic they'd use if I wanted that, which is neither a general nor a local anaesthetic but just something that makes it so you don't remember and are unable to resist. I didn't like the sound of that, so I just did it fully conscious. I think I would choose to do it conscious again, all things considered.

Good luck!

Comment

I had one with the spray only. It was tolerable but I was gagging a bit while it was done.
                Couldn't see the telly either to see what they were doing - not sure if that's good or bad

Comment

Well a week later and I've got one Co-codomal tablet left. I had weaned myself off them, eventually taking just half a tablet at a time because they appeared to give me deleterious side effects, and while I still have pain, it's not severe. They certainly knocked pain on its head, but in hindsight I'd take just one tablet rather than 2 as per prescription as they are potent medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    Well a week later and I've got one Co-codomal tablet left. I had weaned myself off them, eventually taking just half a tablet at a time because they appeared to give me deleterious side effects, and while I still have pain, it's not severe. They certainly knocked pain on its head, but in hindsight I'd take just one tablet rather than 2 as per prescription as they are potent medicine.
                    Aha! That must explain why you were on here advocating that athletes amputate their legs to compete against superior prosthetics.

Comment

I've had two. For the first I was concious with the throat spray. It was horrible, I couldn't stop gagging the whole time.

When I went back for the check-up, I had a general anaesthetic. Much better.

Comment

Working...
                      X