• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are the royal family worth 61p a yr?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: money

How would you like the Royals selling their famous real estates and gems to finance themselves? How about the Queen putting her Crown on the Ebay? How would that reflect on the UK?
    Actually they're out famous real 'estates'. They just hold them in trust for us. Our crown, and care factor zero if they did anyway.

There's a huge mansion near where I grew up, owned by the local Earl - pretty much always empty but it contains one of the finest collections of 18th Century furniture anywhere in the world. Thing is - it has never been open to the public so we never get to see any of it.

Same with the royal families famous estates. Only reason they opened Buckingham palace was to fund renovations after the Windsor Castle fire.

Easy to tak about govmt waste but who holds the royals to account? Does Charles really need 60 staff?

Comment

I used to be a rabid republican as I dislike the hereditary principle, but became a lukewarm one after the Australian referendum when I really wondered for the first time what the alternative might be.

Assuming we really need a head of state to butter up foreign presidents etc. then I have to say the queen does a pretty good job and certainly is a lot more palatable than a nominee of our political rulers. Just imagine, President Kinnock or President Mandelson.

Also, as the queen is not a political appointee, more able potentially to act as a rallying point against a possible dictatorship,

Comment

Just imagine, President Kinnock or President Mandelson.
        King Charles ...

Comment

snaw

> Easy to tak about govmt waste but who holds the royals to
          > account? Does Charles really need 60 staff?

snaw, I understand that you as network admin have no idea about optimisations, so here is a quick hint: optimise something whether effect from optimisation will be greatest.

£30 mln is nothing compraing with Govt waste, if you assume cost of one civil servant being £20k (salary, pension, office etc), then 30 mln is just 1,500 civil servants! I am sure that the Royal family does more good to the UK than 1,500 civil servants, don't you agree?

Comment

Re: snaw

I am sure that the Royal family does more good to the UK than 1,500 civil servants, don't you agree?
            Nope.

BTW

snaw, I understand that you as network admin have no idea about optimisations
            Wassat supposed to mean? While we're on it get my job right - if you're gonna insult me call me a tape monkey or something properly insulting, being calling me a network admin is like being damned by faint praise ...

Comment

optimisation

If your proposal to cut taxpayers expense starting from the Royal family is based on desire to "optimise", ie save taxpayers money then you starting in the wrong place, or in other words you are optimising something that is unlikely to yield high benefits.

30 mln ought to be less than top few Govt ministers spent on "consultants" from KPMG, Accenture and so on, and I am damn sure that the Royal Family gives more value than those, ummm "consultants".

Comment

> Easy to tak about govmt waste but who holds the royals to account? Does Charles really need 60 staff?

AtW is right - It's money down the back of the sofa compared to the literally billions the Government wastes on overmanning, and orders of magnitude cheaper than a presidency would be.

Although a staunch monarchist now, I'd be one no more if it became reduced to a "Disney Monarchy" with no constitutional role.

In other words, the time I'd start seeing the 60p, or whatever it is, as a waste is if I believed the Sovereign would never under any circs pressure the Government, even behind the scenes, on any proposed constitutional change or breach, or in an extreme situation withhold consent.

In theory, the British Monarchy, as an institution ("the Crown"), is there to defend the people against Parliament acting undemocratically, e.g. by voting to extend its term and postpone or abolish national elections.

And Parliament is there to prevent the Crown (in particular its Ministers, TB and co) from imposing arbitrary undemocratic decisions on British subjects, such as levying taxes or seizing property unlawfully a-la "President" Mugabe.

The fact that Ministers are, by convention, mostly elected members of Parliament disguises this basic "twin pillar" picture slightly, but doesn't make it as complicated as a Swiss watch and has had the advantage of helping avoid civil
                war and constitutional upheaval for several centuries, unlike most republics.

I reckon most opponents of the Monarchy, are one or more of the following:

* Muddle-heads who won't, or more likely can't, distinguish between the Royal Family as people and the Crown as an institution.

* Petty-minded "who do they think they are?" merchants who resent anyone being better off or luckier than themselves, and rejoice to see those people brought down a peg or two. Unfortunately, as envy is the British national disease, that accounts for about half of the population.

* Ignorant iconoclasts and novelty hounds who think they sound frightfully bold and ever so original to argue for change, because, well because it would be new and everything new must be better, right?

* Clapped-out politicians, who think they might be in the running for President or some sinecure at the President's disposal.

Comment

monarchy

I am not a monarchist, but I think this country achieved a very good balance, I particularly like the fact that the Armed Forces are sworn to the Queen rather than executive branch. It is important safeguard more so because the Royal Family ain't concerned about next elections and their actions are driven by much longer-term goals.

Having said that I think its wrong to rent out major palaces to royals for feck all money -- this is wrong and effectively reduces nominal taxpayer support figure due to lost opportunity to rent it out to someone else paying money.

If I was in the Royal Family I'd do everything I can do break even and stop taking money from taxpayers so that some overfly anti-monachy people STFU.

Comment

Re: monarchy

Are the royal family worth 61p a yr?
                    When we eventually join the euro perhaps the royal family would be happy to accept 61 cents per person ?

Comment

Re: They've got tonnes of money already

snaw, if you had tons of money already, should clients stop paying you?

Comment

Working...
                      X