Suits Suits - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: Suits

  1. #41

    More time posting than coding

    Bluenose is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    331

    Default

    I would not bother with Boss unless it was from their Selection line.

    I have been buying shrink wrapped Z Zegna and Armani from Italian vendors on ebay.

    They are both made in the same factory in Hungary and get them for around £400.

    I used to wear Canali but they are knocking on £1250 a piece now.

  2. #42

    Godlike

    alreadypacked has more data than eek

    alreadypacked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Off-shore
    Posts
    5,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oracleslave View Post
    After the third purchase it should have become obvious that you can't polish a turd.

    HTH
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

  3. #43

    More time posting than coding

    GeorgeB has no reputation

    GeorgeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Just for the point of concluding this thread....



    I got a hugo boss but only because I couldn't be bothered to travel farther and get a Paul smith.

    The next one is definitely going to be 100% bespoke... I got the itch for nice suits

  4. #44

    Contractor Among Contractors

    scooby is good enough for Jehovah!

    scooby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    I've got a D&G one, wouldnt buy off the shelf again... not impressed at all.

    Have two tailored ones, one from House of Fraser and one from a tailors in Manchester. Big difference! The tailors in Manc provided an italian slim fit and is a v nice material, also came with two pair of pants! Worth the £150 more than HoF and still £400 cheaper than the D&G.

    I also get shirts from Tailorstore. Find a shirt you like (mine was a Paul Smith classic) take the measurements and build your own shirt online! Generally around £45 - 60 and v good quality.
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

  5. #45

    Contractor 'til I die

    doodab 's job has never been outsourced

    doodab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A bit too close to Wandsworth
    Posts
    16,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    I have about 10 hand made suits currently. Nothing like a cheap suit to show one up. Not too expensive nowadays, a decent one can be made to measure at a reputable tailors for about £1K.
    WHS. I've had a few from Boss, Paul Smith etc over the years but these days I have some relatively inexpensive (compared to big name designer prices) made to measure suits and they are far superior. Shirts as well. There is nothing quite like wearing clothes that fit you perfectly.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

  6. #46

    Batty

    norrahe is NOT a disguised employee

    norrahe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sticks and the City
    Posts
    27,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doodab View Post
    WHS. I've had a few from Boss, Paul Smith etc over the years but these days I have some relatively inexpensive (compared to big name designer prices) made to measure suits and they are far superior. Shirts as well. There is nothing quite like wearing clothes that fit you perfectly.
    Went to suit supply in NL to check out the possibility of getting a suit for MrN, was appalled at the quality.

    Couldn't believe the tat they were peddling for what was supposedly wool suits.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

    Norrahe's blog

  7. #47

    Super poster

    bobspud is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,373

    Default

    Last batch of suits I had made from raja's I have always picked the top end of their range and have two of their suits that have lasted 6 years (worn) once a week or so.

    But I have to say they will be the last time I use them they have botched once of the jackets and used a wrong fabric, on another suit.

    I saw quite a few tailors while I was in York the other month so my next suit will be from up there. Or dress2kill.

  8. #48

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak is a fount of knowledge

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    19,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    I've got a D&G one, wouldnt buy off the shelf again... not impressed at all.

    Have two tailored ones, one from House of Fraser and one from a tailors in Manchester. Big difference! The tailors in Manc provided an italian slim fit and is a v nice material, also came with two pair of pants! Worth the £150 more than HoF and still £400 cheaper than the D&G.

    I also get shirts from Tailorstore. Find a shirt you like (mine was a Paul Smith classic) take the measurements and build your own shirt online! Generally around £45 - 60 and v good quality.
    WSS, and you don't have to go to Mancheater, there are still independent tailors all around, find one local to you and do a little research.

    I got a beloved jacket relined by a tailor near me, a lovely job he did of it too.

  9. #49

    Super poster

    Lockhouse is NOT a disguised employee

    Lockhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The 1950's
    Posts
    4,370

    Default

    I get my suits from Aquascutum. Not cheap but they fit and look über expensive. Armani, Paul Smith etc don't fit me properly at all. I've got a Boss suit which fits but it makes me look like a member of the mafia. Never had a suit made to measure.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

  10. #50

    Contractor Among Contractors

    scooby is good enough for Jehovah!

    scooby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    WSS, and you don't have to go to Mancheater, there are still independent tailors all around, find one local to you and do a little research.

    I got a beloved jacket relined by a tailor near me, a lovely job he did of it too.
    When i say Manc, its actually outside the city centre. No one decent in my local town, and actually the Manc tailor was very competitive. Plus with locals rather than online, you get that touchy feely customer service. Any issues, they fix it quickly.
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •