• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would not bother with Boss unless it was from their Selection line.

I have been buying shrink wrapped Z Zegna and Armani from Italian vendors on ebay.

They are both made in the same factory in Hungary and get them for around £400.

I used to wear Canali but they are knocking on £1250 a piece now.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      After the third purchase it should have become obvious that you can't polish a turd.

HTH
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Just for the point of concluding this thread....

I got a hugo boss but only because I couldn't be bothered to travel farther and get a Paul smith.

The next one is definitely going to be 100% bespoke... I got the itch for nice suits

Comment

I've got a D&G one, wouldnt buy off the shelf again... not impressed at all.

Have two tailored ones, one from House of Fraser and one from a tailors in Manchester. Big difference! The tailors in Manc provided an italian slim fit and is a v nice material, also came with two pair of pants! Worth the £150 more than HoF and still £400 cheaper than the D&G.

I also get shirts from Tailorstore. Find a shirt you like (mine was a Paul Smith classic) take the measurements and build your own shirt online! Generally around £45 - 60 and v good quality.
          I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            I have about 10 hand made suits currently. Nothing like a cheap suit to show one up. Not too expensive nowadays, a decent one can be made to measure at a reputable tailors for about £1K.
            WHS. I've had a few from Boss, Paul Smith etc over the years but these days I have some relatively inexpensive (compared to big name designer prices) made to measure suits and they are far superior. Shirts as well. There is nothing quite like wearing clothes that fit you perfectly.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              WHS. I've had a few from Boss, Paul Smith etc over the years but these days I have some relatively inexpensive (compared to big name designer prices) made to measure suits and they are far superior. Shirts as well. There is nothing quite like wearing clothes that fit you perfectly.
              Went to suit supply in NL to check out the possibility of getting a suit for MrN, was appalled at the quality.

Couldn't believe the tat they were peddling for what was supposedly wool suits.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Last batch of suits I had made from raja's I have always picked the top end of their range and have two of their suits that have lasted 6 years (worn) once a week or so.

But I have to say they will be the last time I use them they have botched once of the jackets and used a wrong fabric, on another suit.

I saw quite a few tailors while I was in York the other month so my next suit will be from up there. Or dress2kill.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
                  I've got a D&G one, wouldnt buy off the shelf again... not impressed at all.

Have two tailored ones, one from House of Fraser and one from a tailors in Manchester. Big difference! The tailors in Manc provided an italian slim fit and is a v nice material, also came with two pair of pants! Worth the £150 more than HoF and still £400 cheaper than the D&G.

I also get shirts from Tailorstore. Find a shirt you like (mine was a Paul Smith classic) take the measurements and build your own shirt online! Generally around £45 - 60 and v good quality.
                  WSS, and you don't have to go to Mancheater, there are still independent tailors all around, find one local to you and do a little research.

I got a beloved jacket relined by a tailor near me, a lovely job he did of it too.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I get my suits from Aquascutum. Not cheap but they fit and look über expensive. Armani, Paul Smith etc don't fit me properly at all. I've got a Boss suit which fits but it makes me look like a member of the mafia. Never had a suit made to measure.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      WSS, and you don't have to go to Mancheater, there are still independent tailors all around, find one local to you and do a little research.

I got a beloved jacket relined by a tailor near me, a lovely job he did of it too.
                      When i say Manc, its actually outside the city centre. No one decent in my local town, and actually the Manc tailor was very competitive. Plus with locals rather than online, you get that touchy feely customer service. Any issues, they fix it quickly.
                      I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Working...
                      X