• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Official Olympic Sport Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official Olympic Sport Thread

A thread dedicated to the actual sport rather than bitching about politics, PC, traffic, etc

So... first time I got into road-race cycling properly. Took a while to figure it out but quite interesting.
    Did GBR really stuff it up as badly as it seemed, or is it the case that a small bad decision got amplified?

These 24 extra BBC channels are wonderful!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

It's not official thread unless I say so, and I ain't saying it!

Comment

24 extra channels? Perhaps I should retune my Humax, trouble is then I will lose all my recording settings.

Anyone watching in 3D?

Comment

What nationalities where the team GB men's volleyball team? One sounded Brazilian the other American???
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          What nationalities where the team GB men's volleyball team? One sounded Brazilian the other American???
          Who cares? Although that might be the event for which AtW has free tickets. A ringside seat.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            So... first time I got into road-race cycling properly. Took a while to figure it out but quite interesting.
            Did GBR really stuff it up as badly as it seemed, or is it the case that a small bad decision got amplified?
            In hindsight yes, the primary reason they lost was they let that second lot go at the top of the last Box Hill climb.

That put so many in the breakaway working for each other it was always going to be hard to catch up, but they didn't because of the second reason they lost - no-one else in the Peleton was interested in working to catch up, leaving GB to try almost on their own.

With only 3 riders to share the load it was impossible. But the fact they got as close as they did illustrated how good they are compared to everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              In hindsight yes, the primary reason they lost was they let that second lot go at the top of the last Box Hill climb.

That put so many in the breakaway working for each other it was always going to be hard to catch up, but they didn't because of the second reason they lost - no-one else in the Peleton was interested in working to catch up, leaving GB to try almost on their own.

With only 3 riders to share the load it was impossible. But the fact they got as close as they did illustrated how good they are compared to everyone else.

GB team approached the race like a TDF race and it was a bad judgement. The peloton just stopped trying to go for gold and was happy just jogging along which seemed bizarre. Apart from Germans briefly propping up the peloton nobody else bothered! The critical error was not joining the breakaway because usually in TDF breakaways are caught up.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

You shouldn't let a group like that get away. There were a lot of strong riders in there, the simple reason that only the germans chased with us was because they were pretty much the only other nation who could improve their medal chances by catching the break. Everyone else was happy to see cav out of the running.

It's a shame, I went out to cheer with my boy and got some good photos of wiggo putting a turn in but no happy ending. Hopefully he'll be recovered for the time trial on wednesday.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

C'mon Armitstead!
                  Last edited by mudskipper; 29 July 2012, 14:21.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    Who cares? Although that might be the event for which AtW has free tickets. A ringside seat.
                    I've got tickets to Gymnastics Final - men and ladies

Comment

Working...
                    X