• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chasing the Aurora Holiday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing the Aurora Holiday

Not the dodgy kind... 2013 is the culmination of the 11-year solar cycle which should make it the best chance for a decade to see the aurora**, something we both would love to do.

We are thinking about planning a holiday around it and had considered Iceland - somewhere else we'd love to visit. But we also loved our last US-based train holiday, 3 days across the USA, and since Alaska is actually further north than Iceland I wondered about combining both - catching a train up from California or somewhere to Alaska and then hanging around.

Does anyone know anything about aurora watching and/or Alaskan/Canadian rail?

** based on reading something on Wikipedia, perhaps I'm talking out of my bum
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Do you need sponsorship?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Do you need sponsorship?
      Or a playlist for your ipod

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Do you need sponsorship?
        Like I said, not the dodgy kind

Comment

This looks pretty nifty

Welcome to AuroraWatch UK

Comment

Did Iceland last Feb, but was disappointed - just a vague green glow that could have been anything or nothing. Rest of Iceland was good though - well worth a visit.

So go, but make sure you're also prepared not to see them and that it doesn't spoil your holiday.

Comment

I was in Iceland some years ago, and took an organised aurora tour several out of the city of Reyjkavik to where it was completely dark. But we could see nothing apart from stars.

The compensation offered was "you can go again tomorrow night, at half price"

Comment

Originally posted by minsky1 View Post
                This looks pretty nifty

Welcome to AuroraWatch UK
                Yeah, a good site.

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                I was in Iceland some years ago, and took an organised aurora tour several out of the city of Reyjkavik to where it was completely dark. But we could see nothing apart from stars.

The compensation offered was "you can go again tomorrow night, at half price"
                I think rule #1 of an aurora holiday is "you are not guaranteed to see anything", all you can do is pick a good spot at a statistically good time. Spring autumn next year should be the best times for a decade AFAIK... as far as position is it simply a case of as far north as possible?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Yeah, a good site.

I think rule #1 of an aurora holiday is "you are not guaranteed to see anything", all you can do is pick a good spot at a statistically good time. Spring autumn next year should be the best times for a decade AFAIK... as far as position is it simply a case of as far north as possible?
                  The times I've seen it were at home. Something to consider.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Not the dodgy kind... 2013 is the culmination of the 11-year solar cycle which should make it the best chance for a decade to see the aurora**, something we both would love to do.

We are thinking about planning a holiday around it and had considered Iceland - somewhere else we'd love to visit. But we also loved our last US-based train holiday, 3 days across the USA, and since Alaska is actually further north than Iceland I wondered about combining both - catching a train up from California or somewhere to Alaska and then hanging around.

Does anyone know anything about aurora watching and/or Alaskan/Canadian rail?

** based on reading something on Wikipedia, perhaps I'm talking out of my bum

Does this happen often?
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X