• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Team GB first gold medal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Bugger me,...
    careful mate, Old Greg's on the forum today.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      On a serious note, most good sportspeople can switch from one sport to another and do well, especially when they switch to a sport where the physical fitness/strength element is greater than the skill element; not wishing to disparage here of course, but switching from say rowing to hockey would be more difficult then the other way around. Rowing's probably much more hard work though. Rebecca Romero switched from rowing to cycling with great success, and I believe a number of the best NZ track cyclists played a high standard of rugby before switching to the bike.
      are you serious?

I probably would have thought so before the years of going to Regattas, there is a tremendous amount of skill and tactics in rowing, coupled with, yes, enormous physical fitness

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
        are you serious?

I probably would have thought so before the years of going to Regattas, there is a tremendous amount of skill and tactics in rowing, coupled with, yes, enormous physical fitness
        Indeed, but it's a skill that can be learned in a few years, as opposed to ball skills that need many years of practice; not saying rowing to hockey is impossible, just less likely than the other way around. Add to that, physical prowess is good in hockey, but won't win against great skill, whereas a less skilled rower might win against a physically weaker but skilled rower.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
          are you serious?

I think that learning the techniques of how to row well (or how to run well/cycle well) are easier than learning the techniques for racket sports/football etc simply due to the hand/eye co-ordination needed, the understanding of the game so you have an 'extra 5 yards in your head' etc

I think a few years back a good sprinter (sub 10.20 100 meters) tried to switch to playing football - based on the fact his speed would be enough.... he bombed if I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            I think that learning the techniques of how to row well (or how to run well/cycle well) are easier than learning the techniques for racket sports/football etc simply due to the hand/eye co-ordination needed, the understanding of the game so you have an 'extra 5 yards in your head' etc

I think a few years back a good sprinter (sub 10.20 100 meters) tried to switch to playing football - based on the fact his speed would be enough.... he bombed if I recall.
            Dwain Chambers tried to switch to rugby league and it didn't go well.

Comment

Dwain Chambers tried to switch to rugby league and it didn't go well.
              Indeed it didn't.

Nigel Walker switched from hurdles to Rugby Union, but he'd played rugby when he was younger so he had the skills. Even played for Wales IIRC.

Comment

Indeed it didn't.

Nigel Walker switched from hurdles to Rugby Union, but he'd played rugby when he was younger so he had the skills. Even played for Wales IIRC.
                He was certainly more succesful; it might also have something to do with attitude. As in; Nigel Walker wasn't a self obsessed arrogant **** who thought he knew it all.

Comment

Well done, the British female coxless pair have done us proud. First camel toe of the 2012 Olympics and a gold medal to boot.

Comment

He was certainly more succesful; it might also have something to do with attitude. As in; Nigel Walker wasn't a self obsessed arrogant **** who thought he knew it all.
                    Maybe that didn't help, I don't know what Chambers was like, but if he never played the game when younger I'd have been shocked if he became good enough to turn professional after starting in his mid-twenties.

Comment

Maybe that didn't help, I don't know what Chambers was like, but if he never played the game when younger I'd have been shocked if he became good enough to turn professional after starting in his mid-twenties.
                      While he was being trained up at Castleford and on their payroll, having pissed off a lot of young players who were more talented, he held a press conference to announce he wanted to compete in the Oympics again; not exactly the commitment that's expected of rugby players in either code.
                      Last edited by Mich the Tester; 1 August 2012, 12:30.

Comment

Working...
                      X