• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OCD - is it made worse by IT work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    Some would say most people have a bit of OCD but I wonder if there is more OCD in the IT community.

Personally, mine is getting worse as I get older, as OCD does I'm afraid. I am constantly counting stuff. Number plates are a nightmare for me when I'm driving. I find it hard to read text on the screen without adding up the letters according to my scoring system (when I hit a certain number I start square rooting!!). Very distracting. I don't know if I've been drawn to computers because of this obsessiveness or if I've become like this due to spending huge amounts of time programming over the last 25 years.

I have observed more people in IT have similar, than I've come across outside IT.
    What square rooting algorithm do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      What square rooting algorithm do you use?
      You really do have OCD if you need an algorithm for rooting.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Code:
        while(!orgasm)
        {
           in();
           out();
        }

smoke();
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

I like to convert number plates into Roman numerals then add them up or make dates out of them, then attach significant historical events to them.

So I start to talk to the missus about the battle of austerlitz and she says, 'where did THAT come from ??'

its hard to explain that its because you are bonkers

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Square roots are awkward to find by trial and error in your head, but an easy algorithm exists that quickly converges to the answer. Newton's method.

Basically:
            1. guess a square root
            2. divide the number to be rooted by the guess
            3. find the mean of the latter two (add the latter to the former and divide by two)

So the square root of 200 is, say (15 + 200/15) / 2 = 14

I'm often square rooting things because for example land areas are often given in hectares or square kilometres or some other unit and it's easier to relate to if it's a single unit square.

A similar algorithm exists for cube roots, and volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Code:
              while(!orgasm)
              {
                 in();
                 out();
              }

smoke();
              Your wife called. She said if that !orgasm condition is against her, then your code is simply an infinite loop.

Still, at least the smoking will never kill you.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Square roots are awkward to find by trial and error in your head, but an easy algorithm exists that quickly converges to the answer. Newton's method.

Basically:
                1. guess a square root
                2. divide the number to be rooted by the guess
                3. find the mean of the latter two (add the latter to the former and divide by two)

So the square root of 200 is, say (15 + 200/15) / 2 = 14

I'm often square rooting things because for example land areas are often given in hectares or square kilometres or some other unit and it's easier to relate to if it's a single unit square.

A similar algorithm exists for cube roots, and volumes.
                Spacecadet's method is better.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  I like to convert number plates into Roman numerals then add them up or make dates out of them, then attach significant historical events to them.

So I start to talk to the missus about the battle of austerlitz and she says, 'where did THAT come from ??'

its hard to explain that its because you are bonkers

I'm the same but with Classical stuff, even worse now I've done a bit of latin and I randomly start explaining to the missus the root of a word she's just used to berate me and tell me I make her irate; so I reply "thats from the deponent verb irascor 'I grow angry' strange that it's a passive verb given that you use it so actively" I then get told some anglo saxon for which I find no latin root..............
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                    Your wife called. She said if that !orgasm condition is against her, then your code is simply an infinite loop.

Still, at least the smoking will never kill you.
                    If she stopped randomly phoning other people to prove me wrong then I might put some effort in
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                      If she stopped randomly phoning other people to prove me wrong then I might put some effort in
                      Would that be Orgasm2.0?

Comment

Working...
                      X