• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job decisions and hindsight

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job decisions and hindsight

Aw, **** it! I knew I shouldnt have been so bolshie 8 weeks ago.

Had just finished a contract and was looking for the next one. Within days, had interview at a client in a city centre, easy to travel to but client very inflexible with start \ finish time, wouldnt consider WFH and expected late nights at the drop of a hat.

At least they were upfront about it but as the rate was 90% of the last contract, decided to knock it back.

Not to worry, 10 days later had two interviews on successive days. Again, one on the outskirts of a city, one a town centre. Town centre job was easier to get to and I'd worked there before. Both were paying 15% more than the last role.

Got both jobs so had to decide which one. After a bit of back and forth with agents, decided to go with the one I'd worked with before so t'other agent got the hump and informed their client I was taking the other job.

But then the 'success' agency started getting arsey and I got bolshie and ended up telling them to 'do one'! And now the market has gone into summer recess. Bah!

Should have taken that first job, I'd be half way through the contract now. Ah well, at least I've got the Olympics to watch in my undie crackers
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Never look back.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

Had just finished a contract and was looking for the next one. Within days, had interview at a client in a city centre, easy to travel to but client very inflexible with start \ finish time, wouldnt consider WFH and expected late nights at the drop of a hat.

At least they were upfront about it but as the rate was 90% of the last contract, decided to knock it back.

Not to worry, 10 days later had two interviews on successive days. Again, one on the outskirts of a city, one a town centre. Town centre job was easier to get to and I'd worked there before. Both were paying 15% more than the last role.

Got both jobs so had to decide which one. After a bit of back and forth with agents, decided to go with the one I'd worked with before so t'other agent got the hump and informed their client I was taking the other job.

But then the 'success' agency started getting arsey and I got bolshie and ended up telling them to 'do one'! And now the market has gone into summer recess. Bah!

Should have taken that first job, I'd be half way through the contract now. Ah well, at least I've got the Olympics to watch in my undie crackers
      Do you have last more than 6 weeks in a contract? You make Suity look hardcore.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

And if you hadn't got arsey with the agent, you'd have been working with T.Mangler, so there was that particular 'downside' to consider
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Do you have last more than 6 weeks in a contract? You make Suity look hardcore.
          Just because you take 6 week contracts doesnt mean everyone else does, bellwhiff.

And your post make **** all sense. No change there, then.
          Last edited by BolshieBastard; 6 August 2012, 16:12.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            And if you hadn't got arsey with the agent, you'd have been working with T.Mangler, so there was that particular 'downside' to consider
            I'd have been working somewhere else matey. How's it holding up in w yorks?

Comment

Working...
            X