• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why does God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire produce so many Medal Winners?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Hasn't Scotland delivered the most medals?
    Possibly but the snot goblin would sell all the gold

Comment

If 'pitch fork dueling' and 'welly wanging' were recognised Olympic events Somerset would be imperious.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        If 'pitch fork dueling' and 'welly wanging' were recognised Olympic events Somerset would be imperious.
        If they had six fingered pencil spinning dexterity then Devon would win Gold with Shaunbhoy.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

KUATB
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
            The Answer is, more money is pumped into Scotland on a per capita basis than anywhere else in the United Kingdom.

Free bloody prescriptions and university education FFS!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
              If Yorkshire were a country it would be tenth in the medal table with five golds, the same as Germany and ahead of Holland. No doubt SAS would explain it as Yorkshire folk having better genes.

Discuss e' by eck

I blame Thatcher shutting down the coalmines.
              BTW Edinburgh has more golds than Germany

Comment

BTW Edinburgh has more golds than Germany
                Don't say it too loudly or Edinburgh will have to bail out Greece

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  The Answer is, more money is pumped into Scotland on a per capita basis than anywhere else in the United Kingdom.

Free bloody prescriptions and university education FFS!
                  Some day I'll give up replying to that one, but here goes one more time:

Before devolution:
                  Taxes collected by London.
                  Public expenditure disbursed by London.
                  No special movement of funds necessary.

After devolution:
                  Taxes still collected by London.
                  Public expenditure largely disbursed by Edinburgh.
                  Obviously therefore, movement of funds from London to Edinburgh needed.
                  That's Scottish tax money going off for a trip to London, before coming back again.

Scots get free prescriptions and university education because the Scottish government has decided these are good things to spend their money on - not because they spend English money on them.

Oh BTW, there's a good way to lay all those arguments to rest, and I'll be voting for it in the referendum.

Comment

Some day I'll give up replying to that one, but here goes one more time:

Before devolution:
                    Taxes collected by London.
                    Public expenditure disbursed by London.
                    No special movement of funds necessary.

After devolution:
                    Taxes still collected by London.
                    Public expenditure largely disbursed by Edinburgh.
                    Obviously therefore, movement of funds from London to Edinburgh needed.
                    That's Scottish tax money going off for a trip to London, before coming back again.

Scots get free prescriptions and university education because the Scottish government has decided these are good things to spend their money on - not because they spend English money on them.

Oh BTW, there's a good way to lay all those arguments to rest, and I'll be voting for it in the referendum.

And that is why Yorkshire produces so many medal winners

Comment

Does that leave them short so they have to come cap in hand back to London to pay for other stuff?

The rest of the UK does so I can't see Scotland being any different.
                      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X