• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting worried about being asked for PID by agents when applying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting worried about being asked for PID by agents when applying

Yeterday and today I've responded to roles, one sent direct to me via email and one off a job board and the agent has got back to me and asked for items of Personal Identifiable Data to be used with the application.

Yesterday it was my day and month of birth, but not the year.... used an obvious work around for this one.

Today its NI number and passport expiry date?

I haven't heard of either of the agencies before.

I am getting worried about dribbling out bits of my identifiable data to different agencies and ending up being the victim of identity fraud, maybe I'm paranoid, but I wonder what if someone out there is pretending to be different agencies and collecting these details?

Is anyone else noticing this going on? I queried the first agent and was told that the online portal they were using required the details before my application could be uploaded.

I've been asked for this over the last few years. Normally I only have to provide this after an interview and just before the contract stage though. I wouldn't be passing any of this stuff over (DOB/Nationality) obviously put anything else (ie. passport, bank, driving license etc) just to apply they can take a running jump.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Key View Post
      Yeterday and today I've responded to roles, one sent direct to me via email and one off a job board and the agent has got back to me and asked for items of Personal Identifiable Data to be used with the application.

Yesterday it was my day and month of birth, but not the year.... used an obvious work around for this one.

Today its NI number and passport expiry date?

I haven't heard of either of the agencies before.

I am getting worried about dribbling out bits of my identifiable data to different agencies and ending up being the victim of identity fraud, maybe I'm paranoid, but I wonder what if someone out there is pretending to be different agencies and collecting these details?

Is anyone else noticing this going on? I queried the first agent and was told that the online portal they were using required the details before my application could be uploaded.
      Is there any other sector that expects people to simply hand over this confidential, identity information before an offer of a role is given?

My lad works in retail, a sector where there are lots of immigrant workers. He wasnt expected to provide passport details, photo id, NI number etc, etc when applying for jobs.

The IT industry is a ******* disgrace regarding this IMO. Everyone is told to protect their identity yet some agencies \ clients demand you give this out numerous times to all and sundry.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Just give them some false details "to protect them from accusations of identity theft", and correct these "errors" as and when the job turns out to be real.

Comment

Doesn't this contravene the Data Protection Act in some way?

They don't need those details at that stage, and so they shouldn't be holding them.

Comment

Working...
          X