Tablet or lightweight laptop? Tablet or lightweight laptop?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    Batty

    norrahe is NOT a disguised employee

    norrahe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sticks and the City
    Posts
    27,067

    Default Tablet or lightweight laptop?

    Going to be travelling rather a lot and wondered what others use.

    Looking for something for surfing and general admin (odd spreadsheet,docs, plans), so not something heavy duty.

    Current laptop is a tad on the heavy side, great for working from home but not lugging about the place. Not sure whether to go with a tablet (android preferably) and bluetooth keyboard or laptop. Been looking at the Nexus 7, not sure about laptops, possible Acer or Asus.

    Recommendations for anything mac related will be studiously ignored.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

    Norrahe's blog

  2. #2

    TykeLike

    SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    23,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norrahe View Post
    Going to be travelling rather a lot and wondered what others use.

    Looking for something for surfing and general admin (odd spreadsheet,docs, plans), so not something heavy duty.

    Current laptop is a tad on the heavy side, great for working from home but not lugging about the place. Not sure whether to go with a tablet (android preferably) and bluetooth keyboard or laptop. Been looking at the Nexus 7, not sure about laptops, possible Acer or Asus.

    Recommendations for anything mac related will be studiously ignored.
    I think a Nexus would be a bit to small for even the most basic productivity, I am looking at a 9.7" Tablet and using CloudOn to link into my Office Files in Dropbox, anything smaller would be a bit fiddly unless you have a separate keyboard. Also 7" is a bit too small for watching films etc on the go
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

  3. #3

    Ministry of Love

    realityhack has more data than eek

    realityhack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,667

    Default

    These are nice.

    Best of both worlds.

  4. #4

    Super poster

    fullyautomatix 's job has never been outsourced

    fullyautomatix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gaul
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    I bought an ultrabook recently. Bloody hell its light as feather with 6 GB RAM and an SSD in it.

    I think tablets are great but I prefer a keyboard than the touch screen for anything other than browsing the web.

  5. #5

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    36,042

    Default

    Forget the toys - get a small powerful laptop. In the end you want to do everything in a small package.
    I have the Thinkpad x1 (i7, 8Gig RAM) which cost 1200 a few months ago. Can't fault it - rock solid milspec construction if you're travelling a lot, probably the best keyboard on a laptop.
    Small and light - battery life is good.
    I use my 27 inch iMac as a screen for it at home.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  6. #6

    Ministry of Love

    realityhack has more data than eek

    realityhack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,667

    Default

    Actually, if cost is no issue, WSGS - the new ThinkPad X-series are astonishingly good quality.

  7. #7

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Durbs has no reputation

    Durbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    I'd wait to see what the full-fat Windows Surface tablets are like. From what I've seen so far, they look good.

  8. #8

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    36,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by realityhack View Post
    Actually, if cost is no issue, WSGS - the new ThinkPad X-series are astonishingly good quality.
    Indeed. I know the OP has stated she doesn't want something too heavy duty, but my thinking is why not have a general workhorse that does everything. The X1 is a desktop replacement at home (with screen) and a tough, small and light laptop for travelling
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  9. #9

    TykeLike

    SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    23,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Forget the toys - get a small powerful laptop. In the end you want to do everything in a small package.
    I have the Thinkpad x1 (i7, 8Gig RAM) which cost 1200 a few months ago. Can't fault it - rock solid milspec construction if you're travelling a lot, probably the best keyboard on a laptop.
    Small and light - battery life is good.
    I use my 27 inch iMac as a screen for it at home.
    But completely over kill for what the lady said she would be using it for!
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

  10. #10

    Banned

    wurzel is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I bought an ultrabook recently. Bloody hell its light as feather with 6 GB RAM and an SSD in it.

    I think tablets are great but I prefer a keyboard than the touch screen for anything other than browsing the web.
    What did you buy? In the market for something myself at the moment with the same requirements as the OP. I need to use Photoshop so that rules out a tablet - was thinking of an ultrabook of some description.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •