Tablet or lightweight laptop? Tablet or lightweight laptop?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 17

Batty

norrahe is NOT a disguised employee

Default Tablet or lightweight laptop?

Going to be travelling rather a lot and wondered what others use.

Looking for something for surfing and general admin (odd spreadsheet,docs, plans), so not something heavy duty.

Current laptop is a tad on the heavy side, great for working from home but not lugging about the place. Not sure whether to go with a tablet (android preferably) and bluetooth keyboard or laptop. Been looking at the Nexus 7, not sure about laptops, possible Acer or Asus.

Recommendations for anything mac related will be studiously ignored.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

TykeLike

SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by norrahe View Post
    Going to be travelling rather a lot and wondered what others use.

Looking for something for surfing and general admin (odd spreadsheet,docs, plans), so not something heavy duty.

Current laptop is a tad on the heavy side, great for working from home but not lugging about the place. Not sure whether to go with a tablet (android preferably) and bluetooth keyboard or laptop. Been looking at the Nexus 7, not sure about laptops, possible Acer or Asus.

Recommendations for anything mac related will be studiously ignored.
    I think a Nexus would be a bit to small for even the most basic productivity, I am looking at a 9.7" Tablet and using CloudOn to link into my Office Files in Dropbox, anything smaller would be a bit fiddly unless you have a separate keyboard. Also 7" is a bit too small for watching films etc on the go
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Ministry of Love

realityhack has more data than eek

These are nice.

Best of both worlds.

Super poster

fullyautomatix 's job has never been outsourced

I bought an ultrabook recently. Bloody hell its light as feather with 6 GB RAM and an SSD in it.

I think tablets are great but I prefer a keyboard than the touch screen for anything other than browsing the web.

Better than AtW

sasguru - scorchio!

Forget the toys - get a small powerful laptop. In the end you want to do everything in a small package.
    I have the Thinkpad x1 (i7, 8Gig RAM) which cost 1200 a few months ago. Can't fault it - rock solid milspec construction if you're travelling a lot, probably the best keyboard on a laptop.
    Small and light - battery life is good.
    I use my 27 inch iMac as a screen for it at home.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Ministry of Love

realityhack has more data than eek

Actually, if cost is no issue, WSGS - the new ThinkPad X-series are astonishingly good quality.

Contractor Among Contractors

Durbs has no reputation

I'd wait to see what the full-fat Windows Surface tablets are like. From what I've seen so far, they look good.

Better than AtW

sasguru - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by realityhack View Post
    Actually, if cost is no issue, WSGS - the new ThinkPad X-series are astonishingly good quality.
    Indeed. I know the OP has stated she doesn't want something too heavy duty, but my thinking is why not have a general workhorse that does everything. The X1 is a desktop replacement at home (with screen) and a tough, small and light laptop for travelling
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

TykeLike

SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Forget the toys - get a small powerful laptop. In the end you want to do everything in a small package.
    I have the Thinkpad x1 (i7, 8Gig RAM) which cost 1200 a few months ago. Can't fault it - rock solid milspec construction if you're travelling a lot, probably the best keyboard on a laptop.
    Small and light - battery life is good.
    I use my 27 inch iMac as a screen for it at home.
    But completely over kill for what the lady said she would be using it for!
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Banned

wurzel is too good to be a permie

Quote Originally Posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I bought an ultrabook recently. Bloody hell its light as feather with 6 GB RAM and an SSD in it.

I think tablets are great but I prefer a keyboard than the touch screen for anything other than browsing the web.
    What did you buy? In the market for something myself at the moment with the same requirements as the OP. I need to use Photoshop so that rules out a tablet - was thinking of an ultrabook of some description.