Bike Recommendations Bike Recommendations
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 45

Banned

wurzel is too good to be a permie

Default Bike Recommendations

For the resident cycling experts...

I need a new bike. Been riding a hybrid for the last few years but thinking of getting a road bike as I'm fed up of being overtaken on the morning commute & I want to go quicker. There are some fitness issues here too but wtf.
    I also do quite a bit of riding for fun at weekends doing about 50 - 100 miles on a Saturday.

Quite tempted on one of these:

I'll be doing quite a bit of mileage on bumpy country lanes & apparently this style frame is perfect for soaking up the bumps, according to the salesman. My only reservation is with the lifespan of the graphite frame. I've heard that cracks can develop after a relatively short period of time.

Anyone got any recommendations? Don't want to spend more than £1.5k. TIA.

Super poster

Robinho is too good to be a permie

Try and get one with wheels if you can.

TykeLike

SimonMac is always on top

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Fingers like lightning

Notascooby has no reputation

If you can find a bike shop that will do a generic bike fit first, then they can recommend a frame based upon what would fit, rather than what looks good.

Also worth having a look at planet-x bikes. They can't be beaten on price and I've had a number of their bikes, worth signing up for their news letter as you find they have big reductions and you can find yourself buying a full price bike only to see it being sold £500 cheaper the next week.

In the mid-range market there are a huge number of bikes, have a look at what components they are selling, a lot will have a 50/34 chain ring when you'll want a 53/39 if you're semi-serious.

You'll want a SRAM force or Shimano ultegra but you may find some cheaper 105 or Sopra stuff on the lower spec'd bikes.

Also worth looking to see if anyone local is upgrading their bike, lots of people buy a £1500 bike only to get a bit serious and then spend that on the frame alone, so see if a local cycling club has a for sale section on their website.

Fingers like lightning

doomage has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Robinho View Post
    Try and get one with wheels if you can.
    Perfectly round ones are the best.
    Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Banned

Malcolm Buggeridge is too good to be a permie

How about a unicycle?

Seriously though, I went recumbent some 10 years back and I haven't looked back.

Froglike

Pondlife - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
    How about a unicycle?

Seriously though, I went recumbent some 10 years back and I haven't looked back.
    Why don't you just ask admin to reset the Gricer password if you can't remember it.

King of updation

TestMangler - scorchio!

Get a Honda Fireblade mate. Much easier to get up these hills.
    On Desolation Boulevard, they'd light the faded lights.....

Contractor Among Contractors

Dallas has more data than eek

>>I'm fed up of being overtaken on the morning commute

your bike is only as fast as your legs, the time saving/speed is quite minimal over distance really. I can overtake these on a fold-up.

Go for a BMX then man up to a TT and do some proper racing.

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
    >>I'm fed up of being overtaken on the morning commute

your bike is only as fast as your legs, the time saving/speed is quite minimal over distance really. I can overtake these on a fold-up.

Go for a BMX then man up to a TT and do some proper racing.
    +1. Depending on commute distance and the road conditions. Personally I need a racer for the first 6 miles and mountain bike for the last 6.

And when are YOU going to man up? And don't quote that iron woman stuff at me....
    Fight HMRC now! Help sue HMRC individual officers/government ministers for malfeasance in office. Visit https://www.loanchargejustice.com/ and scroll to the bottom of the page to donate.