• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which car?

• We need a new car
    • The Missus wants a car that can seat 7 people "so we can give lifts to the kids friends"
    • She doesn't want a 4x4
    • I don't want a crap car*

Options? I found this - but seems a bit excessive just to give a lift to other kids:
    4 Child Car Seat - Child Car Seats

* By crap car, I mean (generally, but not limited to) anything built in UK, Korea, America, France and Italy
    We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
    - Douglas Adams

I would say the 4-way seat thing surely invalidates your insurance?

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
      • We need a new car
      • The Missus wants a car that can seat 7 people "so we can give lifts to the kids friends"
      • She doesn't want a 4x4

Options? I found this - but seems a bit excessive just to give a lift to other kids:

* By crap car, I mean (generally, but not limited to) anything built in UK, Korea, America, France and Italy
      Why not a 4x4 ? They're not all gas guzzlers. You could get a RAV4 2.2 diesel for example.

It always makes me laugh these folks who won't touch a 4x4 but go and buy some people carrier with the aerodynamics of a cardboard box and with fuel economy no better than a RAV.

Yet they will still claim the moral high ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
        Why not a 4x4 ? They're not all gas guzzlers. You could get a RAV4 2.2 diesel for example.

It always makes me laugh these folks who won't touch a 4x4 but go and buy some people carrier with the aerodynamics of a cardboard box and with fuel economy no better than a RAV.

Yet they will still take the moral high ground.
        Tell that to my missus would you?
        We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
        - Douglas Adams

Comment

From the site:

Fitting a Multimac will convert your car from a 5-seater to a 6-seater. It has been discussed by the ABI (Association of British Insurers) who have welcomed it as they welcome any appropriately approved device that contributes to child safety, but point out that you should always advise your insurer that you are using a Multimac, as they cannot test or endorse any commercial product themselves. Norwich Union have specifically stated that: ‘The Multimac is Norwich Union approved, and fitment will not invalidate your policy’, and feedback from our customers is that other Insurers have similarly accepted it with no change in premiums.

Multimac - Safety - Child Car Seats
          - Douglas Adams

Comment

From the site:

Fitting a Multimac will convert your car from a 5-seater to a 6-seater. It has been discussed by the ABI (Association of British Insurers) who have welcomed it as they welcome any appropriately approved device that contributes to child safety, but point out that you should always advise your insurer that you are using a Multimac, as they cannot test or endorse any commercial product themselves. Norwich Union have specifically stated that: ‘The Multimac is Norwich Union approved, and fitment will not invalidate your policy’, and feedback from our customers is that other Insurers have similarly accepted it with no change in premiums.

Multimac - Safety - Child Car Seats
            I didn't read the site - this is General!

Comment

• We need a new car
              • She doesn't want a 4x4

Wouldnt it have been easier to list the countries you are prepared to consider, you seem to be suggesting you dont want a car manufactured in UK, Korea, US, France and Italy? That would only leave German or Japan as your options but even then, it means Nissan in Sunderland is discarded as well as Opel \ GM in Germany!

Think you need to ditch the severe limitation \ blinkers you have imposed on yourself. Even with a 7 seater and family of 6, you'd only be able to carry 1 additional friend.

Originally posted by stek View Post
              I would say the 4-way seat thing surely invalidates your insurance?
              Nope, they are allowed. However, having 4 kids and 2 adults in a car designed for seating 5 adults may cause some issues.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

• We need a new car
                • She doesn't want a 4x4

Mercedes E-Class Estate - all the car you'll ever need.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Wouldnt it have been easier to list the countries you are prepared to consider, you seem to be suggesting you dont want a car manufactured in UK, Korea, US, France and Italy? That would only leave German or Japan as your options but even then, it means Nissan in Sunderland is discarded as well as Opel \ GM in Germany!

Think you need to ditch the severe limitation \ blinkers you have imposed on yourself. Even with a 7 seater and family of 6, you'd only be able to carry 1 additional friend.

Nope, they are allowed. However, having 4 kids and 2 adults in a car designed for seating 5 adults may cause some issues.
                  +1

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                    Mercedes E-Class Estate - all the car you'll ever need.
                    Till it snows?
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X