• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

World Cup 2006 comments about England

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru
    Supporting Scotland is like the charge of the Light Brigade. Admirable, heroic even, but ultimately futile.
    So no different to supporting England then, aside from the crowd trouble?
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
      We (Scots/Celts) had far more glorious days
      You mean in Stirling....

Comment

So no different to supporting England then, aside from the crowd trouble?
        Indeed.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

We (Scots/Celts) had far more glorious days than that in 1967 on the footballing front.
          Celtic did, and so did the Hun, but the Scotland team? I'm struggling to think of anything.

I suppose there was Alex James's Wembley Wizards, but they weren't beating world champions.

Or when Scotland were undefeated in the world cup of 1974, but they were still eliminated at the group stage.

Then there was that glorious ten minute spell when Scotland were one up against that great Brazil team in 1982, after Narey's rocket shot, but that ended in a drubbing.

Help me - I'm struggling hard not to mention Frank Haffee here!

Comment

Or when Scotland were undefeated in the world cup of 1974, but they were still eliminated at the group stage.

In fact Scotland was the only country who were undefeated in this World Cup as the eventual winners , Germany lost the opening match to East Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
              Celtic did, and so did the Hun, but the Scotland team? I'm struggling to think of anything.

I suppose there was Alex James's Wembley Wizards, but they weren't beating world champions.

Then there was that glorious ten minute spell when Scotland were one up against that great Brazil team in 1982, after Narey's rocket shot, but that ended in a drubbing.

Help me - I'm struggling hard not to mention Frank Haffee here!
              In brutally frank terms, Scotland are a small nation that has consistently achieved more than might be expected of a place with a population of 5 million. We should be realistically compared with nations like Belgium, Switzerland, Portugal, Sweden etc. Only the English imagine we should have done better, probably by virtue of the fact that in well over 100 matches against us they have only beaten us by something like 44 wins to 41.
              England on the other hand are a large nation with a considerable footballing infrastructure that has consistently punched below their weight. For realistic comparison compare your record to the likes of France, Italy, Germany, Argentina etc. On that basis England can be likened to the fat retards in the kiddies pool that take great delight in dunking the toddlers. Not very flattering eh?
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

shaun - the only thing that matters is who is the winner, that "punching above its weight" and "better" comparisons with other losers are ... for losers.

Comment

Alexei,
                  I'll bow to your superior knowledge on just what constitutes a loser.

Comment

Working...
                  X