• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Olympic Athletes Flying The Flag......Upside Down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olympic Athletes Flying The Flag......Upside Down

It's a small point, but I can't help noticing that there are more than a few British athletes at the Olympics that don't know which way up the Union Flag should go. E.g. :

Chris Hoy

Mo Farah

Bradley Wiggins

It's understandable in Bradley and Mo's cases since they weren't born in the UK, but Chris Hoy? You held the bloody flag at the opening ceremony whilst you were leading the team round, FFS, surely you got a good look at the bloody thing? And even if you didn't know the old "broad side white and top" phrase for remembering which way up it should go, surely the fact that there are eyeholes on one side should have given you a bit of a clue?

At least Jessica Ennis got it right. Although I suspect the fact that her name was written on it may have helped:

They can fly it upside down if in distress. And after competing they should be in distress as they will have been doing their best!

Comment

I wouldn't have a clue which way is the right way. The obvious solution is to get a design consultancy in and get then to design a symmetric flag.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        They can fly it upside down if in distress. And after competing they should be in distress as they will have been doing their best!
        If this was GLP, id take that as a sign of impending doom!

Comment

I think you'll find Hoy and Mo aren't holding it upside down. You're just seeing the reverse side of the flag. For the people standing behind them it'll look perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            I wouldn't have a clue which way is the right way. The obvious solution is to get a design consultancy in and get then to design a symmetric flag.
            It's to do with whether the Irish or Scots crosses should go on top, isn't it? The original Union Flag didn't have an Irish Cross of St Patrick, it just looked like this:

And then when the Irish CoSP was to be added, by convention it should have gone behind all the other existing symbols, but if it had it would have been completely obscured by the existing, thicker St Andrew's cross. So instead they made half of each quadrant have the St Andrew's cross on top, and the other half the Cross of St Patrick was on top (but you could still see some of the St Andrew's cross behind it), making for a pretty odd design.

Nobody ever seems to notice or mind that there's no Welsh element to the design, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              I think you'll find Hoy and Mo aren't holding it upside down. You're just seeing the reverse side of the flag. For the people standing behind them it'll look perfect.
              Yeah, I though someone might try to say that. Find me even a single photo of an American holding their flag in this way, where the blue quadrant of the Stars and Stripes is in their left hand (making the flag the "right way up" if viewed from behind the holder), and then we'll talk.

Edit: here's some photos to get you started.

Another Edit: forget that, it looks like they've got numpties too! :

Last edited by Gentile; 12 August 2012, 17:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
                Yeah, I though someone might try to say that. Find me even a single photo of an American holding their flag in this way, where the blue quadrant of the Stars and Stripes is in their left hand (making the flag the "right way up" if viewed from behind the holder), and then we'll talk.

Edit: here's some photos to get you started.
                Americans are proud of their flag. Ive been indoctrinated to think our flag is a sign of racism and BNP membership. Thanks BBC.

Comment

Oh, fer Gawd's sake:

I can only imagine that it looks the right way up before they flick it over their heads, and it becomes back-to-front/upside-down.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
                    Oh, fer Gawd's sake:

I can only imagine that it looks the right way up before they flick it over their heads, and it becomes back-to-front/upside-down.
                    Sheesh.

Gentile, have you ever met?

I think this could be a match in heaven.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X