Ukuleles Ukuleles
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Ukuleles

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

Default Ukuleles

Mrs. D000hg is interested in getting one to do music with at school (reception children) but neither of us know anything about them. I play guitar so I imagine I could easily pick it up and teach her a few chords, but what should be getting? Only want something cheap and cheerful but someone told me/her there were different types, like how you can get tenor recorders and so on.

Any idiots' guide style tips would be nice - at our low-end do we just buy any old thing or are there still choices to make? And is it as easy to transfer guitar strumming to ukulele as I imagine?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Double Godlike!

stek - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Mrs. D000hg is interested in getting one to do music with at school (reception children) but neither of us know anything about them. I play guitar so I imagine I could easily pick it up and teach her a few chords, but what should be getting? Only want something cheap and cheerful but someone told me/her there were different types, like how you can get tenor recorders and so on.

Any idiots' guide style tips would be nice - at our low-end do we just buy any old thing or are there still choices to make? And is it as easy to transfer guitar strumming to ukulele as I imagine?
    Watch some George Formby (seriously), what a right hand, I've never had a bash on a Uke but I'd imagine a strong right hand technique to be vital to get something out of it otherwise it sounds a bit weedy....

Alumni Member

Netraider is good enough for Jehovah!

Cojak would be the one to ask. I've seen her play open mic a few times.
    SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

King of updation

TestMangler - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post

Don't know about different types of ukes, but someone in the pub showed me a couple of chord shapes on one once and they are the same shapes as a lot of open guitar chords, although not for the same chords (if you see what i mean) !! Like, E and A shapes were used, but they weren't E and A

I'm sure you'll get chord charts off the net easily enough though.
    On Desolation Boulevard, they'd light the faded lights.....

Batty

norrahe is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by Netraider View Post
    Cojak would be the one to ask. I've seen her play open mic a few times.
    WNRS ( but I have only seen her on you tube).

Send Cojak a PM.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Godlike

Bunk 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by TestMangler View Post
    Don't know about different types of ukes, but someone in the pub showed me a couple of chord shapes on one once and they are the same shapes as a lot of open guitar chords, although not for the same chords (if you see what i mean) !! Like, E and A shapes were used, but they weren't E and A
    That's no great surprise, just means the strings are tuned to the same intervals as a guitar but at a different pitch. Similar to using a capo on a guitar, same chord shapes, different pitch chords.

Fingers like lightning

ChrisPackit has no reputation

The strings on a uke are tuned to the same as the bottom four on a standard E tuned guitar i.e. GDAE. You can play a naff sounding version of ukelele based songs on the bottom four of a guitar.

Don't know much about different types, though don't confuse a ukelele with a banjolele, with the former looking like a small guitar whilst the latter being a banjo drum with a ukelele neck, much like GF used most of the time. Ukes can be had from £20 or so for a crumby one whilst banjoleles are much more expensive.

King of updation

TestMangler - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    The strings on a uke are tuned to the same as the bottom four on a standard E tuned guitar i.e. GDAE. You can play a naff sounding version of ukelele based songs on the bottom four of a guitar.

Don't know much about different types, though don't confuse a ukelele with a banjolele, with the former looking like a small guitar whilst the latter being a banjo drum with a ukelele neck, much like GF used most of the time. Ukes can be had from £20 or so for a crumby one whilst banjoleles are much more expensive.
    You've just described anything ever played on a uke.

bored now

eek is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by TestMangler View Post
    You've just described anything ever played on a uke.
    Don't worry Cojak will be along later to take her revenge.

While you wait here is MF playing his favourite song

merely at clientco for the entertainment

King of updation

TestMangler - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Don't worry Cojak will be along later to take her revenge.
    Do you think she knows the difference between a Uke and an Onion ?