• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Double glazing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double glazing

We aim to get the whole house done.
    So the missus asks me to handle the negotiations, seeing as I deal with agents and stuff.

My first move was to ring the half dozen firms and ask for a non binding and informal telephone quote.
    Then I asked for formal visits, and we had the first one today.

S. arrives and gets his tape measure out. He takes our requirements(it took an hour)
    then he sits down with his calculator.

he comes up with 6300. I looks at me telephone quote - 3300.

So I says to him 'Thanks S. obviously we are getting a few quotes, I will take the lowest . no haggling. no playing firms off one against the other. Can you move a bit ?'

So he comes back with 5500, then he drops the facade and hits me with his real pitch. 'If we do it as a forriner, I can get the gear, get the job done at the weekend , 4500'

big smile on his grid.

EO - 'listen S. about this back door, let me show you it again -' slam

we have team number 2 coming around tomorrow. their phone pitch was 3500 - lets see how it goes

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Have you asked Sas who he used?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Have you asked Sas who he used?
      Sas had a gingerbread door, a candy floss chimney and sugar windows.

we want sugar windows with double egg glazing

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)

Comment

I'm doing mine myself. If you want to get an idea for the cost of just the windows/doors without labour, visit www.u-fit.co.uk

Then you can she how much of a bargain you're getting (or how much you're being shafted by)
        Last edited by kingcook; 13 August 2012, 18:59. Reason: Change link text
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
          I'm doing mine myself. If you want to get an idea for the cost of just the windows/doors without labour, visit www.u-fit.co.uk

Then you can she how much of a bargain you're getting (or how much you're being shafted by)
          I'm currently playing the game of finding someone locally who sells Rock door composite doors and isn't the local agent. He was such a slimey.... that no matter what we won't go with them.

And it has to be that manufacturer no one else does the door design we want.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            We aim to get the whole house done.
            So the missus asks me to handle the negotiations, seeing as I deal with agents and stuff.

My first move was to ring the half dozen firms and ask for a non binding and informal telephone quote.
            Then I asked for formal visits, and we had the first one today.

S. arrives and gets his tape measure out. He takes our requirements(it took an hour)
            then he sits down with his calculator.

he comes up with 6300. I looks at me telephone quote - 3300.

So I says to him 'Thanks S. obviously we are getting a few quotes, I will take the lowest . no haggling. no playing firms off one against the other. Can you move a bit ?'

So he comes back with 5500, then he drops the facade and hits me with his real pitch. 'If we do it as a forriner, I can get the gear, get the job done at the weekend , 4500'

big smile on his grid.

EO - 'listen S. about this back door, let me show you it again -' slam

we have team number 2 coming around tomorrow. their phone pitch was 3500 - lets see how it goes

I have bought a few houses that have had retro fit UPVC glazing installed at some time and all seem to use a thin strip of plastic around the edges to hide gaps that were due to poor measurements or standard sizes being used rather than custom.
            If I were to be purchasing new units it would be interesting to see if this could be rejected as an installation option and if so what the premium would be

Also reject those unsightly external drip thingys
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              I have bought a few houses that have had retro fit UPVC glazing installed at some time and all seem to use a thin strip of plastic around the edges to hide gaps that were due to poor measurements or standard sizes being used rather than custom.
              If I were to be purchasing new units it would be interesting to see if this could be rejected as an installation option and if so what the premium would be

mmm

good info.

thats why I come here. advice you can trust
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                The downside to this is that you will then create a water bridge & increase the chances of damp developing
                Growing old is mandatory
                Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                  The downside to this is that you will then create a water bridge & increase the chances of damp developing
                  And for gawd sake won't someone think of the children.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    Sas had a gingerbread door, a candy floss chimney and sugar windows.

we want sugar windows with double egg glazing

Aye BTL's windows were in good nick.
                    main res has secondary glazing from the 70s/80s that works remarkably well.

Good luck with glazingg, that's cowboy city, and the Poles don't do it AFAIK.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X