Very Sad Train News Very Sad Train News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 28

Double Godlike!

Spacecadet is a permanent contractor

Default Very Sad Train News

Virgin might be losing the West Coast Mainline franchise this week to First Group
    Coffee's for closers

Super poster

swamp is too good to be a permie

Why is this sad?
    Cats are evil.

Pilchard

Cliphead has more data than eek

Cheaper to fly than take the train unless a local journey. Couldn't give a flying toss about trains.

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    Why is this sad?
    Cause virgin have been doing an alright job at it and First have promised to cut costs. As they can't cut the rail services, they will have to cut staff and the customer service level instead
    Coffee's for closers

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliphead View Post
    Cheaper to fly than take the train unless a local journey. Couldn't give a flying toss about trains.
    Maybe for you but for us Manc's its the only real option when travelling to central London as there aren't any flights to London City any more.
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 13th August 2012 at 20:45. Reason: changed "and" to "any" so it makes sense
    Coffee's for closers

Pilchard

Cliphead has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Maybe for you but for us Manc's its the only real option when travelling to central London as there aren't any flights to London City and more.
    Ahh, see your point.

Godlike

BoredBloke 's job has never been outsourced

Yes I agree it is a right fvcker!! It means the end to the traveller club also. Bang goes the 12 months of free tickets.

Virgin are far from perfect. First class it sparsely populated even at peak times while standard is crowded. Their pricing model, as with all train companies is cr@p and penalises you heavily if situations change at short notice. The walk on fares are extorionate. I once travelled to London paying £183 for the single and as the train pulled out of Manchester there were a total of 3 in the first class coach. I asked the ticket bloke why it was so empty and he said wait till we get closer to london...it fills up there. Yes it did as 11 people got off at Euston. Hardly bursting point!!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by BoredBloke View Post
    Yes I agree it is a right fvcker!! It means the end to the traveller club also. Bang goes the 12 months of free tickets.

Virgin are far from perfect. First class it sparsely populated even at peak times while standard is crowded. Their pricing model, as with all train companies is cr@p and penalises you heavily if situations change at short notice. The walk on fares are extorionate. I once travelled to London paying £183 for the single and as the train pulled out of Manchester there were a total of 3 in the first class coach. I asked the ticket bloke why it was so empty and he said wait till we get closer to london...it fills up there. Yes it did as 11 people got off at Euston. Hardly bursting point!!
    First are just as bad for the walk on fares. They also (On the TPE route at least) have a habit of declassifying first class at the drop of a hat, not policing first class properly and the trains generally can be a bit grubby. They were also tulip at time keeping, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to network rail and how much is due to firsts crapness.
    Coffee's for closers

Contractor Among Contractors

portseven is good enough for Jehovah!

+1

Quite like the 7.07 from Stockport, on it most weeks. Good service, first have a lot to live up to.
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Godlike

Paddy is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by portseven View Post
    +1

Quite like the 7.07 from Stockport, on it most weeks. Good service, first have a lot to live up to.
    Some years ago I went for an interview with First. The project involved their accounting system for which visits were required to stations. I said "I presume I will be given a rail pass for that purpose." They replied, "Oh no, you need to use your own car because the trains are too unreliable."
    Brexiteers remind me of religious fanatics, only faith, no facts.