• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Women doing it all not having it all

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Most couples end up buying a house using their combined earnings, which then means that they both have to work to keep up the mortgage payments and still have a quality of life.

Just buy a cheaper house
    It's lucky most mortgage companies won't simply give you a multiple of your combined earnings (or at least they didn't when we last got a mortgage).
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

No One 'Has It All,' Because 'Having It All' Doesn't Exist

I think it's deeply wrapped up in what Rebecca Traister articulated so eloquently at Salon:

"Here is what is wrong, what has always been wrong, with equating feminist success with "having it all": It's a misrepresentation of a revolutionary social movement. The notion that female achievement should be measured by women's ability to "have it all" recasts a righteous struggle for greater political, economic, social, sexual and political parity as a piggy and acquisitive project."

First of all, nobody's happy. Nobody "has it all"—not women, not men, not presidents, not heiresses, not babies, not kittens (maybe kittens). The idea that there is one homogeneous definition of "it all" that all women are supposed to desire is painfully reductive. "Let us rediscover the pursuit of happiness," Slaughter says, "and let us start at home." That's the most presumptuous line in the whole article. Maybe some women don't find happiness at home. Maybe some women do find happiness in their careers. Or in unprofitable art. Or in providing for their families. Or in being alone. There isn't a singular goal for any person—man or woman—and yet feminism has sold us this prepackaged notion of success that, when you open it up, is totally undefined.
      WSS

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        In a poll of more than 5,000 mothers aged 20 to 70 years old, 70% said they did all the cooking and cleaning in their household, while 80% did the washing and ironing as well.

Nearly 75% said they felt it was down to them to ensure the household ran smoothly while the vast majority (83%) said having more help from their husband or partner would ease the burden on them
        There's a surprise women moaning in a poll about how little men do because they are focusing on what they have done and not on what their partner has done. Did they ask how much time the women of the house spent putting up shelves, cleaning the cars, mowing the grass, washing the really greasy pans with the metal scourer (that a man must have invented once we finally got round to doing washing up), investing the pensions, sorting the house and car insurance, fixed the fence, painted the outside of the house, and inside, fixed the washing machine pipe from leaking, finding the best deal for the next family holiday, getting the PC working again after they "must have pressed something in internet explorer", wired up the TV and trained the family how to operate the Sky/Virgin/AV amps and projector/hifi streaming mega system, and lastly carried all the heavy shopping from the car. Nope. Not a biased survey then? I'm not saying that women don't do any of this, but in typical houses holds - and I'll qualify that by meaning - most people I know or talk to - this is usually the case that men do all of the above. Or did they ask how often the man comes home and listens to their partner bitching about who said what at work and says - damn honey that's terrible - I'm glad I don't have to put up with that (sincerely).
        Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
          There's a surprise women moaning in a poll about how little men do because they are focusing on what they have done and not on what their partner has done. Did they ask how much time the women of the house spent putting up shelves, cleaning the cars, mowing the grass, washing the really greasy pans with the metal scourer (that a man must have invented once we finally got round to doing washing up), investing the pensions, sorting the house and car insurance, fixed the fence, painted the outside of the house, and inside, fixed the washing machine pipe from leaking, finding the best deal for the next family holiday, getting the PC working again after they "must have pressed something in internet explorer", wired up the TV and trained the family how to operate the Sky/Virgin/AV amps and projector/hifi streaming mega system, and lastly carried all the heavy shopping from the car. Nope. Not a biased survey then? I'm not saying that women don't do any of this, but in typical houses holds - and I'll qualify that by meaning - most people I know or talk to - this is usually the case that men do all of the above. Or did they ask how often the man comes home and listens to their partner bitching about who said what at work and says - damn honey that's terrible - I'm glad I don't have to put up with that (sincerely).

How fkcing depressing that I do all that sh1te on top of all the other sh1te.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

Ooooh! Your language, young lady. Really.....

Comment

This thread is missing Wim121's balanced opinion IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                This thread is missing Wim121's balanced opinion IMHO.
                OK, I'll give it a shot...

Bloody women, it was better in the days when they were back in the kitchen, doing all the household chores, dinner, cleaning. Stuff they were more suited to. And when you got bored with them, you kicked them out and got a younger, better model in.

Nowadays, when there someone holding up the traffic, it's always a batty woman wondering if she left the iron on instead of pressing the right pedal down harder. Or if there's a cockup in your planning permission, it's some stupid bird in the council who's on her 80th sick day because she too stressed with having to do things, like thinking or counting, for instance.

And of course, women lawyers who insist that the wife gets everything in a divorce because of her oooman rights, how the poor flower would be a waif and stray and needs so much support and sympathy while the wicked husband must suffer because he's wicked, it's his fault, men can't be trusted, they're bastards, all of them, bastards, bastards, die die die die...

er, sorry, got a bit carried away. And breath...

"Shields up number 1...tactical.."

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

Get a decent man in your life.

Then you can do all that sh!te for him too!

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                    OK, I'll give it a shot...

Bloody women, it was better in the days when they were back in the kitchen, doing all the household chores, dinner, cleaning. Stuff they were more suited to. And when you got bored with them, you kicked them out and got a younger, better model in.

Nowadays, when there someone holding up the traffic, it's always a batty woman wondering if she left the iron on instead of pressing the right pedal down harder. Or if there's a cockup in your planning permission, it's some stupid bird in the council who's on her 80th sick day because she too stressed with having to do things, like thinking or counting, for instance.

And of course, women lawyers who insist that the wife gets everything in a divorce because of her oooman rights, how the poor flower would be a waif and stray and needs so much support and sympathy while the wicked husband must suffer because he's wicked, it's his fault, men can't be trusted, they're bastards, all of them, bastards, bastards, die die die die...

er, sorry, got a bit carried away. And breath...

"Shields up number 1...tactical.."

Nowhere near vitriolic enough. I think we can rule out HyperD as wim's sockiemaster.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
                      To be fair, my husband did put up some shelves in 2003. And just this year, he fixed the bathroom light switch. He also drives his own car through the car wash.

Comment

Working...
                      X