• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Rubbish bag 'tax' to encourage recycling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tim123
    I agree. If this were to be how all rubbish collection were paid for (as it is in Switzerland) I think it's a great way to go. I live in a block of flats with shared collection and it's amazing how a couple of lazy sods can completely fill the industrial sized bin all on their own, whilst the rest of us try hard to reduce our waste. There should be a way of penalising them for doing so.

tim

Exactly what we need Tim. More punitive taxation and petty minded legislation backed up with more monitoring of citizens and nanny state ideology.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
      I agree. If this were to be how all rubbish collection were paid for (as it is in Switzerland) I think it's a great way to go. I live in a block of flats with shared collection and it's amazing how a couple of lazy sods can completely fill the industrial sized bin all on their own, whilst the rest of us try hard to reduce our waste. There should be a way of penalising them for doing so.

tim
      Yes, exterminate them.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        Exactly what we need Tim. More punitive taxation and petty minded legislation backed up with more monitoring of citizens and nanny state ideology.
        Still - it gives you something else to moan about so it's not all bad.

Comment

What the feck do we pay council tax for ? This is getting stoopid , we have the highest tax rates in Europe and now we are going to pay double for getting our rubbish taken away.

Soon we will have to teach our own kids , diagnose family members for cancer , aids , VD and put our own fires out. I wont say police our own neighbourhoods because we are already doing that.

Its just another way of NL getting us to pay for their incompetance , Im organising a street protest , but the fact that I am in the US might make me change my mind when I have calmed down.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
            HOMEOWNERS face paying a second tax for their household rubbish to be collected as part of a range of proposals to reform council tax
            This sounds like a good idea to me. Except that:

1. It should replace the Council Tax element for the binmen, not supplement it

2. People will stick their rubbish amongst other people's to avoid paying

3. People will fly-tip to avoid paying

4. How do they weigh each bin's-worth of rubbish to record the charges?

5. How do they collect the charges?

6. What happens when people dispute the charges?

I see a fiasco here that will make the Tax Credit system look like a smoothly run operation.

Comment

We need a tax which reduces council tax, not supplements it.
              This system proposed is, indeed, totally unworkable.
              I propose to tax packaging. Idiots that buy 6 apples in a polystyrene tray covered with clingfilm, instead of buying them loose and taking them home in a paper bag, should pay extra for the pleasure of so doing.
              It's only fair.
              We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
                We need a tax which reduces council tax, not supplements it.
                This system proposed is, indeed, totally unworkable.
                I propose to tax packaging. Idiots that buy 6 apples in a polystyrene tray covered with clingfilm, instead of buying them loose and taking them home in a paper bag, should pay extra for the pleasure of so doing.
                It's only fair.
                Way too obvious. That is why, Fleetwood, you'll never make it as a politician. Politicians never try and solve a problem. Why bother when there is much more political capital in creating a new problem?
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how early people are prepared to get up in order to secrete their rubbish in amongst their neighbours'.

Comment

Presumably people like the Rochdale Swamp Donkey and her excessive brood of future spongers will not have to pay this extra tax and that it is only 'fair' for all those rich middle class b@stards to pick up the tab.

I fookin hate this government. They have one approach to everything. If it moves, tax it. If it doesn't then tax it - just to be on the safe side. Feckers!
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Nearly right.

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
                      Presumably people like the Rochdale Swamp Donkey and her excessive brood of future spongers will not have to pay this extra tax and that it is only 'fair' for all those rich middle class b@stards to pick up the tab.

I fookin hate this government. They have one approach to everything. If it moves, tax it. If it doesn't then tax it - just to be on the safe side. Feckers!
                      If it moves, tax it.
                      If it doesn't move, deem that it has moved and tax it.
                      Why not?

Comment

Working...
                      X