• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom and Gloom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB
    I dont work for a Bank
    I do!
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
      Noticed that the stock markets all going tits up.

Is this the begining of the DOWNTURN.
      Yawn. Markets drop = buy shares. Markets rise = yippee.

Comment

So sell your house and buy shares? Is that what you are suggesting?

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
          I wonder if the house prices will be next ?

Markets are taking a hammering, people are losing money.

Milan.
          Funds which leave the stock market tends to find its way into other investment sectors , eg the property market, if anything propery prices in the domestic sector would benefit.

Otherwise investors may take refuge in commodities such as Gold ,Oil etc dindt you buy into Oil as I suggested a while back Milan ?

Commodities have been one of the most talked-about asset classes over the last few years.

And for good reason -- the Goldman Sachs Commodity Index gained more than 25% last year and produced an average annual return of more than 23% since the beginning of 2002.

Commodities have actually been the best-performing asset class over the last 36 years, outperforming both domestic and international stocks and bonds, particularly during high-inflationary periods like the 1970s
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 13 June 2006, 11:25.

Comment

Hello Alf,

I am heavily invested in Plan B.

Milan.

Comment

Good for you Milan, good luck to you and your family.

BTW disregard what I said about commodities as per the extract below, hmm seems to be the fault of the Bank of Japan.

This correction has been especially painful -- and scary -- because speculative excesses had built up in so many asset classes that the drop in prices left equity investors with no place to hide.

If you had added gold, as I had, as a hedge against inflation and market volatility, you still took it in the neck along with everyone else because speculative money had flowed into and was now flowing out of gold. Same with copper miners, oil drillers and timber producers.

Stocks that in other kinds of market could be counted on to move up when the market as a whole turned down, went down too as the central banks rattled their monetary swords.

Comment

same to you Alf

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                X