• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fourth week on bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
    Getting nervous now.
    Two clients interviewed. Both said they'd confirm by COP today.
    4 months for me. Don't give a damn.

Warchest large. Planned well ahead.

Relax and enjoy the break. No point being a contractor otherwise.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Getting nervous now.
      4 weeks!! its not even a good Holiday

Comment

Fourteen months now and war chest just about holding out. Husband over and out for four years. In a contracting career lasting 15 years I've experienced two significant gaps like this. I happens. At the moment I'm hoping things pick up but there's no sign of that and maybe I should just retire. Sad to say I've been rejecting what are clearly rubbish roles for about six months now, and with a scarcity of decent projects around perhaps this is curtains for me this time round. It wouldn't worry me, there's more to life...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          <hic>

<haec>

<hoc>
          Ah, a classical education!

Comment

Originally posted by Battenburg View Post
            Fourteen months now and war chest just about holding out. Husband over and out for four years. In a contracting career lasting 15 years I've experienced two significant gaps like this. I happens. At the moment I'm hoping things pick up but there's no sign of that and maybe I should just retire. Sad to say I've been rejecting what are clearly rubbish roles for about six months now, and with a scarcity of decent projects around perhaps this is curtains for me this time round. It wouldn't worry me, there's more to life...
            14 months! crapola.... My warchest wouldnt survive that :-(

Reckon I could do about 9 months at the mo. (Been back contracting only 15 months mind).
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Exactly the same with me. Not sure now if I'm retired or not. Certainly no way I'm going to work on rubbish projects at rubbish rates - I enjoy my free time far to much for that. Had an interview last week for a job that turned out to be for 11+ hour days at 8 hour a day pay rates. Politely declined.

Weather was beautiful yesterday, and I spent all day out in the green-belt. Same again today. Lovely. ...Although I really should wash my motorbike at some point today.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Fourteen months now and war chest just about holding out. Husband over and out for four years.
                Ouch, now those are hefty bench periods. Good luck.

Comment

Is hubby actively looking?

If so, the agents must be automatically binning his CV due to the prolonged gap.

Best of luck to you both.

Comment

I've never been out of work in the 17 or so years since graduation (last 8 contracting), but I know I have a long bench period coming up next year. Frankly I have enough of a warchest to last me a long time but still I am very worried about how to handle bench time. I don't think I'll be mentally prepared at all - and with a young family I will be worried about providing for their future.

It's a mindset that I haven't yet experienced, but certainly one that I've got to work around to.

I must admit that if I had a marketable skillset then I would love to work a few months and then take off a few months every year.

Having said that, no matter what happens I am grateful for having been given the chance in life to improve my standing through contracting.

Comment

Getting nervous now.
                      Keriste, what a bedwetter
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X