• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Exactly. Everytime I used to work in my own shops I'd think, I could pay someone cheaper to do this & coin it in elsewhere.
    It's how I am thinking now. Madness really, as you could match the earnings easily, but, well, it just seems to easy to pop out for 40 hours a week and coin it that little bit more. My best man has always said I'll contract until they find me collapsed at my desk. Depressing really, I thought I'd be out of it all by 55. Not to be me thinks...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      It's how I am thinking now. Madness really, as you could match the earnings easily, but, well, it just seems to easy to pop out for 40 hours a week and coin it that little bit more. My best man has always said I'll contract until they find me collapsed at my desk. Depressing really, I thought I'd be out of it all by 55. Not to be me thinks...
      So what actually happens is, you set up a plan B yourself, work in it for a while, come to the conclusion that you should employ someone to do what you're doing so you can go and coin it in elsewhere, hire someone, go off and contract, the person you hire never does it as well as you do, you then have to keep coming back in to give instructions, make changes etc, which effects your contract & your time, you get knackered, drop the contract, replace the staff, bring the business back on track, come to the conclustion that you should employ someone to do what your doing so you can go and coin it in elsewhere .............

I call it the Suity paradigm.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

There is a maximum number of children per area of equipment and the people you employ have to be cab'd as such, but outside of the normal H&S not especially so, in our research.
        CRB

Comment

So what actually happens is, you set up a plan B yourself, work in it for a while, come to the conclusion that you should employ someone to do what you're doing so you can go and coin it in elsewhere, hire someone, go off and contract, the person you hire never does it as well as you do, you then have to keep coming back in to give instructions, make changes etc, which effects your contract & your time, you get knackered, drop the contract, replace the staff, bring the business back on track, come to the conclustion that you should employ someone to do what your doing so you can go and coin it in elsewhere .............

I call it the Suity paradigm.
          , very good. But yes, it's something like that.

I was rather hoping my wife would come back to run it, but she appears to rather like being at home and not contracting. I am of course deeply envious.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
            CRB
            BBC

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
              CRB
              That's the boy.

Funny enough, I had to have it last year as I helped out at the school triathlon.

Comment

, very good. But yes, it's something like that.

I was rather hoping my wife would come back to run it, but she appears to rather like being at home and not contracting. I am of course deeply envious.
                Having closed down the shops and moving, the missus decided she didn't want to work in the office anymore having had our first child and wished that she had worked in one of the shops we had. So a year after closing them I opened a new one on a 3 year lease so she could run it. 3 months later someone had knocked her up and I landed up working the bloody weekends myself until I hired an experienced manager who was a damn site more expensive. The missus never went back to work.

The second the three years were up I closed it again(last April)

Comment

Having closed down the shops and moving, the missus decided she didn't want to work in the office anymore having had our first child and wished that she had worked in one of the shops we had. So a year after closing them I opened a new one on a 3 year lease so she could run it. 3 months later someone had knocked her up and I landed up working the bloody weekends myself until I hired an experienced manager who was a damn site more expensive. The missus never went back to work.

The second the three years were up I closed it again(last April)
                  We had 2 kids, at school age, and the wife was contracting as an Oracle DBA. We had three houses, and all was well in our world. We decided to move to the West Country, and took out a rather large mortgage on our current house. Quite literally, the day before we moved in, after exchanging, she felt sick, and now we have a 3rd child, she no longer works and we were a little bit too close to being over-leveraged for my liking. We luckily sold one house, and have found long term tenants in the other two houses. However, we are looking to sell the other two houses, to resolve the mortgage at home, or partially resolve it and buy into a plan B.

I'd not take a Plan B on with the two houses let out, they'd have to go and we'd have to exclude the family home form the business. I am not a gambler by nature and it worried me then being almost held in balance by the economy and nothing else.

Comment

Part of me is thinking of just doing the garden furniture though and contracting the other half of the year.
                    Isn't the garden furniture market already saturated or are the products you are looking to source different to the mainstream?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                      Isn't the garden furniture market already saturated or are the products you are looking to source different to the mainstream?
                      You're probably thinking large wooden furniture. I'm looking at more your bistro chairs, mosiac tables, metal benches. What we in the trade call 'car boot' furniture (ie. you can stick it in the boot). £120-£180 retail. At the cheapest end of the market the quality is super shiiite! I used to sell shabby chic benches on Ebay at £89-£119, I'd be buying in at £50, the wholesaler was buying in at £25.

They are really difficult to get hold of decent ones & one of the best suppliers just went bust.

Comment

Working...
                      X