• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eat, Fast, Live Longer.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    And that works because you are decreasing overall intake of sugar and starch.
    I actually didn't watch Horizon or whatever.

I watched or read something a while ago by exercise scientist that explained why various diets worked, and the consensus is that they reduced your calorie intake over at time period.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I saw the programme when it was aired and thought I would give the diet a try, but then I forgot about it and anyway I enjoy my drink too much so woud find it hard to not drink on the off days.

I'm not overweight though... I just want to see if I could live longer!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

I'm not overweight though... I just want to see if I could live longer!
        If your grandparents or parents are 90 odd or lived to that age then stop worrying.

Edited to say: Well worry if they had dementia and lived to that age.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I have a good friend who lost heaps using the dukan diet, and lost all his weight, and still keeps it off, and eats very well. Not a big eater of carbs now though.

He's tried everything, even that alli drug, which, by all accounts, failed spectacularly, and messily, in front of clients... tulip, I still laugh thinking of him explaining it to me 'well I thought I could have one piece of pizza...'

Comment

Makes sense to me. As I have said before, anything you do regularly does not appear to work because the body adapts to any regular system, you have to ambush it. 3 days with little food works when just cutting down on daily intake does not. Obviously you have to be cunning and change which days or the body susses what you are up to.

PS Heroin. AIDS works too.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
              I have a good friend who lost heaps using the dukan diet, and lost all his weight, and still keeps it off, and eats very well. Not a big eater of carbs now though.
              That is probably the secret to most successful weight loss diets: whatever it is that the diet nominally restricts, the actual result is a significant reduction in carbohydrate intake.

This is true even for carb-based diets: they have you eat mainly carbs but restrict (often severely) how much, so they are actually low-carb diets even if they don't look it. Diets that are openly low-carb often do not restrict how much you eat, they just come down hard on carbs. Same result either way - low carbs.

Most of the dramatic weight loss that comes with a sudden change to low-carb eating is not loss of fat, it's loss of water. This is because carbs are stored as glycogen in the liver, with an associated 3-5x the weight of water. Cut the carbs, you cut the glycogen storage, and with it a load of water.

It's not temporary: keep off the carbs and the weight loss will stay. (pedant note: if you eat enough fat your body can replenish glycogen stores from that, but it is less likely to do so in the absence of the insulin stimulus provoked by carbs),

I don't regard the loss of weight by loss of water as being in any way fake or illusory: the mere fact of carrying around many fewer kg all the time has got to be good for your long-term health.

Also, there are other, stronger, reasons for eating less carbs but that's a whole other story.

BTW many of us actually prefer low carb eating. Give me a choice between a smoked salmon sandwich with 2 slices of salmon, or 8 slices of salmon but no bread, I know which I'd regard as a snack and which I'd regard as a feast.

(calc: smoked salmon 23 kcal.slice, bread 74 kcal/slice).

Best result of course is to have only 3 or 4 slices of smoked salmon and feel that you're not "on a diet", rather you're haveing exactly what you want.
              Last edited by Ignis Fatuus; 18 September 2012, 06:35.
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Working...
              X