• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Manchester

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Not forgetting the fact in some areas of the country gun crime is so common it doesn't even hit the papers. Judging an entire city based on press coverage is pretty poop.

Yes, right, in some areas of the country unarmed policewomen are shot dead and it never gets reported. Yes, I believe you.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      I agree, but I drive around here quite often, from clients offices all over the Manc-Liverpool belt, and it's just horrid. tulip tips like Runcorn, St Helens, Wigan, Warrington, ad nauseum...

I come from a rural area when the only gun crime is not to have one. However, we simply shoot things we can eat, rather than the police.

Much prefer the West Country to up here...
      You are just highlighting the bad bits. there are more millionaires in South Manchester then anywhere outside of Westminster or Surrey. Crime is low, it's not overcrowded, the people are friendly and the countryside is beautiful. The only other part of the UK I would consider moving to is Cornwall.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

There are bits of Manchester I wouldn't want to venture to alone but I do feel safer here than I have in other cities in this country. Certainly London scares the tulip out of me.

However - Worsley/Swinton etc isn't actually bad - there are tonnes of nice areas.

I do wonder if OH is right though.... seems really suss that your man would do that and then hand himself in. Would he not just go on the run?

Bloody awful though, God love those poor WPC's and their families
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
          There are bits of Manchester I wouldn't want to venture to alone but I do feel safer here than I have in other cities in this country. Certainly London scares the tulip out of me.

However - Worsley/Swinton etc isn't actually bad - there are tonnes of nice areas.

I do wonder if OH is right though.... seems really suss that your man would do that and then hand himself in. Would he not just go on the run?

Bloody awful though, God love those poor WPC's and their families
          WCMS

Thoughts are with the WPC's and their families, friends and colleagues

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            You are just highlighting the bad bits. there are more millionaires in South Manchester then anywhere outside of Westminster or Surrey. Crime is low, it's not overcrowded, the people are friendly and the countryside is beautiful. The only other part of the UK I would consider moving to is Cornwall.
            I love Somerset and Devon (as well as Cornwall I might add), as you'll not find nicer countryside, imo. I know you have 'South Manchester', although I think most call that part Cheshire no?

Just not my bag. It's densely populated in the corridor I am talking about and the towns just aren't nice.

Again, it's just an opinion, but where I live, come from, the only sounds that annoy, are if the farmer gets up really early doors. If you are used to it here, then it's what you are used to, so it isn't that bad.

Just not my bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              You're talking about Cheshire & while you are geographically correct in that the towns are located South of Manchester, it's pushing it a bit to link Wilmslow, Alderley Edge & Prestbury with any part of Manchester - bit like calling Sevenoaks Saaarf London
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                You're talking about Cheshire & while you are geographically correct in that the towns are located South of Manchester, it's pushing it a bit to link Wilmslow, Alderley Edge & Prestbury with any part of Manchester - bit like calling Sevenoaks Saaarf London
                Have you had a look at the houses for sale in Worsley?

Just saying, like.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  Have you had a look at the houses for sale in Worsley?

Just saying, like.
                  Not a town I am familiar with - although I used to have a girlfriend who lived down t'road in Leigh (which seemed a nice enough place) - always classed that as West ...and also West of Manc is Liverpool (shudder)
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    Yes, right, in some areas of the country unarmed policewomen are shot dead and it never gets reported. Yes, I believe you.
                    Indeed but one incident isn't really enough to label an entire city is it? Your original comment mentioned guncrime, not shooting of officers, which is thankfully an extremely rare occurance. In some areas people are regularly shot at or caught carrying weapons and it is not reported due to it's frequency.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                      Not a town I am familiar with - although I used to have a girlfriend who lived down t'road in Leigh (which seemed a nice enough place) - always classed that as West ...and also West of Manc is Liverpool (shudder)
                      Yep, always best to watch you don't stray too far down the A580

Comment

Working...
                      X