• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

newsnight right now attacking "self employed"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tractor View Post
    I had to laugh at the mealy mouthed moron when he was trying to explain a point about the shameful Rochdale incidents without using the Muslim word. I sensed everyone in the audience wanted to help him out the way you would if he were a stammerer. He went on and on and on and on and managed about 5 minutes without actually saying it.

Kirsty played a blinder though.

I thought it was funny when the ginger rodent hater was caught out whining about Mitchell calling the cops plebs by the Ginger Rodent himself lol. Didn't shut her up for long though
    Favourite moment was when the stammering twat said his 'because that's who Tories are' for the umpteenth time, but this time chastising Kirsty for sending her kids to private school and all kids who go to private school are Tories, she shouted a very audible 'Bollocks' at him then said to Harriet Harmen 'Didn't you go to a private school', to which she answered a very firm 'Yes'!!! I never realised what a tosser Coogan is!!!

Comment

Clearly someone who doesn't support the some political leaning as you is a tosser. Unless having such a narrow-minded view makes you the tosser of course. Or unless me thinking you thinking that makes you a tosser makes me a tosser.

One of the above at least I reckon.

And I thought the BBC were/are investigating their own freelance staff?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I think it's important that Coogan stands by his principles;

Beneath this scandal is a more important debate about morality, ethics and the notion of public service. None of these things really register very highly with a company like News International. Their priority is their shareholders. The reason James Murdoch would like to see the demise of the BBC is because its very existence gives succour to those who champion the idea of an institution that serves the people first.

This sticks in his craw because, by contrast, his worldview – driven purely by commercial interest – looks, well, a bit depressing. At the MediaGuardian Edinburgh International Television Festival in 2009, he said the only way to guarantee independence is the market. No, Mr Murdoch, the unchecked market leads to the hacking of Milly Dowler's phone. Your god should be treated with a little less reverence.

From here

But then what have we here

Now Alan Partridge's wish has been granted, with the hapless Norfolk DJ returning to Sky Atlanic for a new six-part series of Mid Morning Matters.

Steve Coogan will star as Partridge in Mid Morning Matters 2 when it airs on Sky Atlantic next year.

Comment

interesting comment on Clarkson story

You too could earn a similar sort of income if your employer would give you a contract like the BBC gives its presenters.

As an engineer, any innovation I might have made which was related to my work was the property of my employer. However, Noel Edmonds, for example, retained rights to Mr. Blobby, although he was under contract to the BBC at the time he concocted him, and the BBC was involved in promoting the character.

Nice work if you can get it, and you can get it if you try.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            I think it's important that Coogan stands by his principles;

Beneath this scandal is a more important debate about morality, ethics and the notion of public service. None of these things really register very highly with a company like News International. Their priority is their shareholders. The reason James Murdoch would like to see the demise of the BBC is because its very existence gives succour to those who champion the idea of an institution that serves the people first.

This sticks in his craw because, by contrast, his worldview – driven purely by commercial interest – looks, well, a bit depressing. At the MediaGuardian Edinburgh International Television Festival in 2009, he said the only way to guarantee independence is the market. No, Mr Murdoch, the unchecked market leads to the hacking of Milly Dowler's phone. Your god should be treated with a little less reverence.

From here

But then what have we here

Now Alan Partridge's wish has been granted, with the hapless Norfolk DJ returning to Sky Atlanic for a new six-part series of Mid Morning Matters.

Steve Coogan will star as Partridge in Mid Morning Matters 2 when it airs on Sky Atlantic next year.

Whilst I would agree with with your assertion about the motives of Murdoch I am quite worried that you seem to think that the BBC "serves the people first" It does not . It serves itself. It may seem impartial but the only way it is kept in check is because of the eternal scrutiny it comes under much of which is from the Murdoch press and some of which is exaggerated or even builyt on lies.

if there was no BBC we would be fed news that would deliver the Murdoch agenda. The same goes for the BBC. If there was no private press it would succumb to serving its paymaters - the government.

Like public services and other non market institutions the BBC should be subject to constant criticism and scrutiny.

people like you who assume anything is done for the good of people are frankly a danger to us all.

Alan Partridge is another hypocrite - he lives like a Tory.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              people like you who assume anything is done for the good of people are frankly a danger to us all.
              You're such a warm, optimistic chap.

Comment

It serves itself. It may seem impartial but the only way it is kept in check is because of the eternal scrutiny it comes under much of which is from the Murdoch press and some of which is exaggerated or even builyt on lies.

if there was no BBC we would be fed news that would deliver the Murdoch agenda. The same goes for the BBC. If there was no private press it would succumb to serving its paymaters - the government.
                It always amazes me that people think the BBC is in anyway impartial, they are very lefty biased and have considered it for a long time to be the state indoctrination channels. Sky may have a bias too, but perhaps because it is not so different from my own personal bias I rarely noticed it, though now days I have found that news on TV tells me too much about things I want to know nothing about.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  You're such a warm, optimistic chap.
                  People act in self interest. Quite often people get their kicks out of making others happy and doing things for them. However these people behave like this largely towards those that are close to them.

In business and public services pressures for self preservation and the need to earn money to look after ones friends and family are paramount. Where matters clearly overstep the mark (dishonesty fraud) - in business and public services- people will often throw self interest aside and report such acts.

I will also accept that many workers want to please the people they serve and enjoy doing so - but this only becomes effective when the management and sytems support such a culture and ensure bad individuals are unable to undermine the effectiveness of such institutions.

one of the main reasons why public services are so inefficient is because - despite their well intentioned employees they are poorly supported.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

one of the main reasons why public services are so inefficient is because - despite their well intentioned employees they are poorly supported.
                    A surprisingly agreeable comment! I'd agree (assuming that's what you meant) that for all the derision about public sector workers, the vast majority are decent hard-working people trapped in a useless system.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      A surprisingly agreeable comment! I'd agree (assuming that's what you meant) that for all the derision about public sector workers, the vast majority are decent hard-working people trapped in a useless system.
                      If the employees are useless it is the management that is to blame.

Comment

Working...
                      X