• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for CarolB

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: time in jail

Numpty: I would generally agree, but as Eddie says, once you factor in stupidity a car becomes a lethal weapon, we lock people up for having guns without a licence, we send twocers on go-karting holidays for driving without a licence.

We need at least two pieces of legislation.
    1. Culpable manslaughter. If you kill someone or cause someones death whilst doing something stupid, or doing something illegal, if that death could have been avoided had you not done what you did, then you should be held responsible and go to prison for a long time.

2. Driving a car without a licence, insurance, MOT etc, being involved in an accident due to careless wreckless or even dangerous driving should be offensive weapons offences.
    Maybe drivers would be a lot more careful about how they drive.

Comment

being involved in an accident due to careless wreckless or even dangerous driving
      Shirley such a car accident would be anything but "wreckless"?

Gads, I'm so sharp today I fear I might cut myself.

Comment

The clerk involved has been sacked and is likely to be facing criminal charges.

The clerk held a position of trust, which she abused. She deserves the heavy hand of justice.
        I blame comprehensive education :rolleyes

Comment

WageSlave1: Agree there comprehensive 'edukasun' is at the root of many problems in the UK.

Going decimal is at the root of many others.

Comment

Driving a car without a licence, insurance, MOT etc, being involved in an accident due to careless wreckless or even dangerous driving should be offensive weapons offences.
            A friend (no not me) was hit by someone as he went through a green traffic light, it was his right of way and the other driver jumped a red. The police tried to blame my friend and threatened to charge him with driving without due car and attention, there were no witnesses but he was forced to go on a dangerous driving course which the police now profit from (coincidentally?). If the person in the other car were killed should he have gone to prison for murder?

Comment

A friend (no not me) was hit by someone as he went through a green traffic light, it was his right of way and the other driver jumped a red. The police tried to blame my friend and threatened to charge him with driving without due car and attention
              Huh? How can this possibly be your, sorry your friend's, fault? The basic principle is that unless there are exceptional cicumstances (e.g. someone blasted out of a blind junction right in front of you) if you hit someone, it's your fault.

If your friend isn't telling porkies to cover himself, I think he has a case for bringing a charge of police harrasment.

Comment

He's not the type to make things up. It's a road where people often jump the red. He was turning from a side road, the Police arguement was he should have seen the car jumping the lights.

Comment

So did he hit the car jumping the red, or did the car jumping the red hit him? If the latter, this is just police harrasment. The conclusion of that train of thinking is that no one would go over a green light in case someone jumped the red coming the other way and drove into you.

Comment

I would have fought it, but they he decided to pay for the course rather than risk points a fine or whatever.

I've heard of a couple of other cases where the police have been doing this threatening tactic to get people on their £300 courses.

AFAIR my friends only error was to assume no-one would be coming through the red light. The other driver disputed that he'd gone through the red but he was the only car to go through in a line of traffic. Unfortunately my friend assumed the other guy was going to play fair so didn't seek witnesses.
                    The police tried to do the other guy first but then just latched onto my friend who was less cunning.

Comment

One of the reasons I got fed up of living in the UK was the plod doing stuff just like the above. It is really sickening. It is so much like several incidents I've had I can well believe it.

Due to the sort of cars I drive I found in the UK there were more than necessary jealous types that would try and have accidents with you.

And the plod always seem to back them up.

Tw4ts

Comment

Working...
                      X