• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House ownership

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: .

If she gets the house, what do you get?

Spod - In "contractor" mode!

Comment

Re: .

"how do I arrange the transfer, do I have to involve the solicitor who holds the deeds ( I am not sure who holds the deeds just now)
      ",

I'll look after the deeds for you

Milan in 'helpful' mode.

Comment

This is not actually a reply, but another question.

Sorry folks - I have just joined tonight in order to ask this question.

My father is 90 and has a bad heart. I would like to know if there is any way that he can put his house into my name, in order to move into rented warden assisted housing.

We are not trying to avoid CGT but they say that the government will not let him rent if he owns his own property. Does anyone know the ruling on this?

Comment

Any transfer of ownership whilst alive and you'll have to pay stamp duty.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Peggy3733 View Post
            Sorry folks - I have just joined tonight in order to ask this question.

My father is 90 and has a bad heart. I would like to know if there is any way that he can put his house into my name, in order to move into rented warden assisted housing.

We are not trying to avoid CGT but they say that the government will not let him rent if he owns his own property. Does anyone know the ruling on this?
            Ain't Google great - helps resurrect old threads just like that!

Comment

It varies from council to council, but it does seem common that if a retired parent wishes to move in to rented accomodation (like a warden assisted scheme), they need to have enough "points" to do so.

This is based on their savings, the value on their home, and so on.

To give an example, my mother is 76 and lives in her own home in the country (2 bed detached) and was interested in joining the council housing list to get something easier to manage and close to town, with a warden on site.

The council sent her a 20 page document, asking her every detail of her life. They wanted to know bank details of ALL accounts and savings, all assets in her name, her sexuality, her race, her colour, etc etc.

Then there is an assessment sheet with the form that grades each applicant, so you can calculate where you stand. Because she owns her own house and has savings (<250K in total overall), she is considered to be not elegible for housing.

Essentially, the council say that she can sell her property and use the proceeds and some of her savings to buy her own property.

She asked, hypothetically, about if she wanted to go in to a care home. The council representative said that provided she sold her home and used her money to pay for her care, there would be no problem at all.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                Any transfer of ownership whilst alive and you'll have to pay stamp duty.
                Yep pretty sure this is true - govt will get its grubby paws on your/you mum's money somehow... Also, I think the value against which you pay the council tax has to be independently assessed (i.e. you can't say that the property is worth a tenner and pay the duty on that amount)
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

To Board Game Geek and others

Thanks for all the replies, especially to Board Game Geek.
                  Looks like we are penalized always for trying to do the right thing.
                  So no matter which way we turn, we just have to try and sell the house
                  (not good - in todays market). Well thanks for the input folks.
                  Peggy.

Comment

Working...
                  X