• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

October

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently back in pre Industrial Revolution times, the Autumn/Winter months were days of relaxation and full bellies. Although festivals were held in Spring time, they were more worrying times as the food stocks dwindled, and folk had to prepare to stop marauders nicking their supplies. And then mid to late summer was the time to work all hours, in order to get the harvest in. So it makes a little sense to feel more at ease in winter time. I don't have much sense, so I prefer the summer.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      I made some wholemeal olive bread last night. Jesus, when it came out of the over, I knew it was unlikely to make the night.
      Can't beat homemade bread... it's to die for.

Er, no disrespect for the Big J there.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Don't those big macs come with a pickled gherkin?
        Better than a Dill dough.

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Did anyone else see that black bread stuff on Wartime Farm on BBC2 last evening?

Made of silage, sawdust, something else inedible, and a dash of honey.

Amazingly enough, it apparently didn't taste too bad.

Must have kept you regular if nothing else.
          Yep. They said it was what they ate in Germany because of wheat shortages and it was a bit like German 'black bread', which is actually a very dark, thick rye bread that tastes good with a slice of spek or bacon and dipped in pea soup or lentil soup. Makes you fart a lot; good for warming up the bed at night.

We have that rye bread in NL too;

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
          X