so I've been parachuted on to a failed project so I've been parachuted on to a failed project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 11

bored now

eek is a fount of knowledge

Default so I've been parachuted on to a failed project

why do I spend the entirity of the twice daily status meetings trying not to laugh out loud.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Obstinate Git

Mich the Tester is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    why do I spend the entirity of the twice daily status meetings trying not to laugh out loud.
    Because shortly that'll be three daily status meetings in the 'war room'.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Is it laugh or cry?

Or have you been blessed with the gift of schadenfreude?

bored now

Default so I've been parachuted on to a failed project

It's laughter definitely laughter. Every time I look at something a wonder who on earth could ignore a project for 6 months and then notice it's missing 50% of required functionality 2 weeks before release

It wouldn't be so bad but it's a minor rewrite of An existing system to remove a dodgy third party component.

Super poster

jmo21 is NOT a disguised employee

are you dev, test, PM?

unless they think they can make you the scapegoat and get away with it (eg. you get the boot) then it'll probably be fairly interesting, you can only do your best to manage what can be done in the time.

If it was permies that caused the problem, you can find lots of ways to needle them "incomplete requirements", "lack of planning", "poor resourcing" etc.

Banned

Gentile has no reputation

It's laughter definitely laughter. Every time I look at something a wonder who on earth could ignore a project for 6 months and then notice it's missing 50% of required functionality 2 weeks before release

It wouldn't be so bad but it's a minor rewrite of An existing system to remove a dodgy third party component.
    Well, if you will insist in accepting work from brand new members in the professional forums who don't actually know what's wrong with their existing solution but who nonetheless insist there's only half a day's work needing doing, and who offer a budget of a whole £75 ("plus VAT if need be!") for that "half-day's" work...

Contractor Among Contractors

kingcook is good enough for Jehovah!

Quote Originally Posted by Gentile View Post
    Well, if you will insist in accepting work from brand new members in the professional forums who don't actually know what's wrong with their existing solution but who nonetheless insist there's only half a day's work needing doing, and who offer a budget of a whole £75 ("plus VAT if need be!") for that "half-day's" work...
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by Gentile View Post
    I wasn't going near that. i'm happy to do emergency problem solving for new clients but the waiting list is 6 months at the moment.

Also plan c which we've discussed before means I won't be getting out of bed for less than £2k a day once this contracts done and dusted.

Obstinate Git

Mich the Tester is NOT a disguised employee

The more a project gets into the tulip the more timewasting meetings and status reports will be demanded by managermen.

This is an iron law of project failure and it can only be resolved by strangling said managermen, but seeing as that's illegal we'll just have to live with it and invoice the stupid bastards .
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Batty

norrahe is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    The more a project gets into the tulip the more timewasting meetings and status reports will be demanded by managermen.

This is an iron law of project failure and it can only be resolved by strangling said managermen, but seeing as that's illegal we'll just have to live with it and invoice the stupid bastards .
    And also senior management and board members will wade in and want a slice of the pie and add more meetings and paperwork
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog