skys wireless box crap skys wireless box crap
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1

    Ddraig Goch

    psychocandy - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    10,123

    Default skys wireless box crap

    Bought one. Limited manual to say the least.

    Plug in and it works it says. No it doesn't for me. Hmmm.

    Spent 20 mins reseting it etc but then couldn't be arsed.

    Had a surreal conversation with Sky support (off shored!) person. He told me that it wouldnt work because I had an SSID type of wireless router. Wish I'd never mentioned the word to be honest. Had to spent 10 mins telling him that SSID was the 'wireless network name'. In the end he said he understood and sent me a link telling me how to get wireless working on a sky broadband router (I'm with O2 for broadband).

    Completely pointless and 20 mins of my life I'll never get back.

    I think I'll go back to homeplugs rather than rely on Skys inability to get anything techincal working.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

  2. #2

    TykeLike

    SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    23,169

    Default

    Hang on so this is basically just a wireless access point? For a tenner that's not a bad price, I assume it works with any ethernet connection, not just to a Sky+ box?
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

  3. #3

    Potty-trained

    suityou01 is NOT a disguised employee

    suityou01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Skid row
    Posts
    21,014

    Default

    Useless Tosser.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

  4. #4

    Ddraig Goch

    psychocandy - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    10,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Hang on so this is basically just a wireless access point? For a tenner that's not a bad price, I assume it works with any ethernet connection, not just to a Sky+ box?
    It connects Sky+ box via hardwired lan cable so I guess it is.

    They used to be £60 so ok for tenner (if it ever works!).

    It just winds me up. I dont want to be there for hours speaking to donkeys at sky to get it working.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

  5. #5

    More fingers than teeth

    FiveTimes is NOT a disguised employee

    FiveTimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    19,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    It connects Sky+ box via hardwired lan cable so I guess it is.

    They used to be £60 so ok for tenner (if it ever works!).

    It just winds me up. I dont want to be there for hours speaking to donkeys at sky to get it working.
    Ive got my sky+ connect via homeplugs but it keeps dropping ip address.

    I assume you have gone via the sky options menu, network, manual configuration and assigned a fixed ip address.
    Has the reset config option done anything ?

  6. #6

    More time posting than coding

    teclo has no reputation

    teclo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Ive got my sky+ connect via homeplugs but it keeps dropping ip address.

    I assume you have gone via the sky options menu, network, manual configuration and assigned a fixed ip address.
    Has the reset config option done anything ?
    If you can, go into your wireless router and set it with a static ip address there. You should be able to find it via it's mac address.

  7. #7

    Ddraig Goch

    psychocandy - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    10,123

    Default

    Used to use homeplugs and it worked a treat but my homeplug packed up.

    £10 for sky wireless box easy peasy I though. Thing is I dont want to spend ages fannying around with skys crap.

    But thanks for help. I will try this.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

  8. #8

    More fingers than teeth

    darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    16,504

    Default

    I have Sky here (used to be Premiere) but Telekom also offer all this new fangled digital stuff and as everything else I have is tthrough Telekom I thought maybe I would take them up on their offer. First off I asked if it was wireless and was told that 'yes, of course.' When it arrived it wasn't so got on the phone with them and told the bod at the other end that it wasn't wireless. The answer back was that they had some problems with the wireless aspect so it wasn't yet released but this box does exactly the same. Not it doesn't I replied, my router is elsewhere in the house and if you think I'm going to run an ethernet cable bloody metres then you've got another thought coming. They continue to ring me still trying to get me to accept and I've had some fun conversations with them about wireless and running cables and I think it is now obvious to them why they seem to be lagging behind in this area as they still don't have a wireless enabled one.

    Another thing that gets me is that all these companies try to lease these boxes to you which seems pointless as in the end it costs you a fortune.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

  9. #9

    More fingers than teeth

    OwlHoot - scorchio!

    OwlHoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,348

    Default

    I had a similar surreal conversation with a Sky techie.

    They insist my Sky box needs a special router to access the Internet, and I couldn't persuade the chump (or vice versa) that it should be possible to plug it into the normal broadband router which I already use.

    Does anyone else know anything about this? Is it possible that a Sky box does indeed need direct access to an ADSL phone line? Or is it a ploy by Sky to try and persuade people into switching phone/ISP suppliers to Sky?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

  10. #10

    More fingers than teeth

    FiveTimes is NOT a disguised employee

    FiveTimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    19,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I had a similar surreal conversation with a Sky techie.

    They insist my Sky box needs a special router to access the Internet, and I couldn't persuade the chump (or vice versa) that it should be possible to plug it into the normal broadband router which I already use.

    Does anyone else know anything about this? Is it possible that a Sky box does indeed need direct access to an ADSL phone line? Or is it a ploy by Sky to try and persuade people into switching phone/ISP suppliers to Sky?
    I had issues with my router netgear dgn1000 and it needed a f/w upgrade for it all to work.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •