• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rates are negotiable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rates are negotiable

Is there any reason why agents/clientco's refuse to give a ball park figure for rates?

I find about 10% are advertised. One agent wouldn't tell me but wanted to send me for an interview and rate discussions if it went well. Why would I not work for half a day to waste mine and potential clientco's time if they were only willing to pay half of what i can get elsewhere.

And what's with rates being competitive, very competitive, highly competitive or a new favourite, ultra competitive; surely they all mean the same thing, about average. At least use descriptions that can help i.e. tulip but we'll accept anyone with a few letters after their name; not bad considering; good but your agent will give you an average rate and cream the rest off.

Rant over

You could always just tell them to stick it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoi View Post
      <rant>
      Is there any reason why agents/clientco's refuse to give a ball park figure for rates?

I find about 10% are advertised. One agent wouldn't tell me but wanted to send me for an interview and rate discussions if it went well. Why would I not work for half a day to waste mine and potential clientco's time if they were only willing to pay half of what i can get elsewhere.

And what's with rates being competitive, very competitive, highly competitive or a new favourite, ultra competitive; surely they all mean the same thing, about average. At least use descriptions that can help i.e. tulip but we'll accept anyone with a few letters after their name; not bad considering; good but your agent will give you an average rate and cream the rest off.

</rant>
      FTFY

I think agents are under the impression that rates should be dropping because of the recession, so they don't want to give a rate. They are trying to see what the market is at the moment.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
        FTFY

I think agents are thieving bastards.
        Ftfy btw
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I will not be put forward for a role without a rate.

It appears some of these agents lie.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Ftfy btw
            Now you know that is not true
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Its a catch-22 situation, because even if they tell you a rate is X, how many of us have then post interview had an agent come back and say, ah well they can only offer you X-10%

It comes down to who has the biggest balls when an offer is on the table, as up until that time anything that is said is meaningless
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Maybe its a bit different here. Agent or whomever calls, we discuss, for about 5 minutes the job. I get the name of the company out of them as primarily I won't work for 1 or 2 companies then we discuss rates. I have 2 different rates, one for near home and one for staying away and I always add on a bit more so we haggle although recently every call has been fine, in fact the last one, when I got the contract was 10% more than I asked for!
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Its a catch-22 situation, because even if they tell you a rate is X, how many of us have then post interview had an agent come back and say, ah well they can only offer you X-10%

It comes down to who has the biggest balls when an offer is on the table, as up until that time anything that is said is meaningless
                  This is the more common version, as the way the OP describes rarely happens. More likely they will bulltulip you on the rate and try and talk you into it (or certainly less than initially discussed rate) should you be offerred.

Of course if you refuse, agent will tell client you have pulled out/no longer available or even worse, asked for more.

Comment

Working...
                  X