Rates are negotiable Rates are negotiable
Posts 1 to 9 of 9

Should post faster

Scoi has no reputation

Default Rates are negotiable

Is there any reason why agents/clientco's refuse to give a ball park figure for rates?

I find about 10% are advertised. One agent wouldn't tell me but wanted to send me for an interview and rate discussions if it went well. Why would I not work for half a day to waste mine and potential clientco's time if they were only willing to pay half of what i can get elsewhere.

And what's with rates being competitive, very competitive, highly competitive or a new favourite, ultra competitive; surely they all mean the same thing, about average. At least use descriptions that can help i.e. tulip but we'll accept anyone with a few letters after their name; not bad considering; good but your agent will give you an average rate and cream the rest off.

Rant over

Super poster

Robinho has no reputation

You could always just tell them to stick it.

Godlike

alreadypacked has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by Scoi View Post
    <rant>
    Is there any reason why agents/clientco's refuse to give a ball park figure for rates?

I find about 10% are advertised. One agent wouldn't tell me but wanted to send me for an interview and rate discussions if it went well. Why would I not work for half a day to waste mine and potential clientco's time if they were only willing to pay half of what i can get elsewhere.

And what's with rates being competitive, very competitive, highly competitive or a new favourite, ultra competitive; surely they all mean the same thing, about average. At least use descriptions that can help i.e. tulip but we'll accept anyone with a few letters after their name; not bad considering; good but your agent will give you an average rate and cream the rest off.

</rant>
    FTFY

I think agents are under the impression that rates should be dropping because of the recession, so they don't want to give a rate. They are trying to see what the market is at the moment.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Potty-trained

suityou01 is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by alreadypacked View Post
    FTFY

I think agents are thieving bastards.
    Ftfy btw
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Banned

Old Hack has no reputation

I will not be put forward for a role without a rate.

It appears some of these agents lie.

More fingers than teeth

DodgyAgent is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by suityou01 View Post
    Ftfy btw
    Now you know that is not true
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

TykeLike

SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

Its a catch-22 situation, because even if they tell you a rate is X, how many of us have then post interview had an agent come back and say, ah well they can only offer you X-10%

It comes down to who has the biggest balls when an offer is on the table, as up until that time anything that is said is meaningless
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

More fingers than teeth

darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

Maybe its a bit different here. Agent or whomever calls, we discuss, for about 5 minutes the job. I get the name of the company out of them as primarily I won't work for 1 or 2 companies then we discuss rates. I have 2 different rates, one for near home and one for staying away and I always add on a bit more so we haggle although recently every call has been fine, in fact the last one, when I got the contract was 10% more than I asked for!
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Super poster

jmo21 is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Its a catch-22 situation, because even if they tell you a rate is X, how many of us have then post interview had an agent come back and say, ah well they can only offer you X-10%

It comes down to who has the biggest balls when an offer is on the table, as up until that time anything that is said is meaningless
    This is the more common version, as the way the OP describes rarely happens. More likely they will bulltulip you on the rate and try and talk you into it (or certainly less than initially discussed rate) should you be offerred.

Of course if you refuse, agent will tell client you have pulled out/no longer available or even worse, asked for more.