• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Elderly parents...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    My parents are in their early 70s and quite happily spending my inheritance. My grandmother is 99, and has just handed power of attorney over to her daughters; she can't do much, so just takes each day as it comes - she's in a decent nursing home.

In-laws have a bit of money, but their only interests in life are their kids and grandkids. Mum's losing it a bit, but dad seems to be getting on fine. Nice garden they have.

You can't run your parents' lives for them. Just be there when they need you.
    Aye. Thats the problem I fear. He cant see what is needed.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      I haven't seen my old man for ages but we kind of keep in contact. He got the barmaid in his local pregnant some time ago so had to marry her so I have a stepbrother who is over 25 years younger then me. He's still working well into his 70's and I know that in the past year he's been working in Russia, Serbia, Ghana, South Korea, Denmark and Bulgaria just to name a few and I still have no clue what he does.
      Assassin for hire obviously.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Probably half "stop telling me what to do" defending his independence, and half the older generation just being way more careful and less spend-free than our generation - even though blatantly obvious he needs some stuff.

My mum retired 5 years ago at 60, and my dad has just retired last month at 70 (because he was happy to keep working so he said).

They have plenty of savings to keep them going, and even if that runs out I'll be able to sort them out.

What I'm most worried about is my dad fading away now he is retired. A large part of his keeping working I think was being scared of retirement.

Comment

Does he know how much he has and is he up with rcent news?
          If not you could tell him a white lie that he'll benefit from tax breaks for the eldery (or some such story) if he gets the essentials you think he requires.
          Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
            Does he know how much he has and is he up with rcent news?
            If not you could tell him a white lie that he'll benefit from tax breaks for the eldery (or some such story) if he gets the essentials you think he requires.
            Think how you come and bitch on CUK when the government do things "for your own good" that you don't want or feel you need.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Rickety old furniture that is falling to bits. Chairs that he can hardly sit on because it gives him a bad back. Old bed that I;m sure I used as a child - so worn he cant sleep.

Clean. Not at all unfortunately. Social have offered to give him help with cleaners etc but hes got make a contribution (again, because hes got so much money saved - his fault again!). No chance in a million years that he'll pay for a cleaner - it was something like £5 a week but he thought that was daylight robbery....
              Sounds like my Gran's place. She's 89 now with cataracts and we've got the stage where one of the family will take her out shopping for the day so someone else can dive in and try and clean the place. Not that's there's much you can do in a couple of hours when all the surfaces are covered in "stuff". She's got a dodgy leg & she'd still rather take 2 buses than spend £5 on a taxi to my aunt's house - guess its a generation thing because my parents are spending my inheritance like they're running out of time fast!

Comment

Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
                Sounds like my Gran's place. She's 89 now with cataracts and we've got the stage where one of the family will take her out shopping for the day so someone else can dive in and try and clean the place. Not that's there's much you can do in a couple of hours when all the surfaces are covered in "stuff". She's got a dodgy leg & she'd still rather take 2 buses than spend £5 on a taxi to my aunt's house - guess its a generation thing because my parents are spending my inheritance like they're running out of time fast!
                Oh yeh.

I'm sure my old man has got a list of things in his head that he think, under no circumstances you should ever pay for. These include :-

1. Taxis (Would rather walk and make himself ill than pay £5)
                2. Washing machines (whats the sink for? Again even if makes him ill doing it)
                3. Pre-packed sandwiches (£2 for a sandwich!)
                4. Cleaners/Home Help (£5 for 2 hours from the social - daylight robbery apparently)
                5. Carpets/furniture (apparently they last forever)
                6. Solicitors (Don't get me started on that one - he told my brother £200 was excessive fee for him to pay to start court proceedings to get access to hos kids!)
                7. Cars (he doesn't drive and thinks anyone who runs a car is wasting money!)
                8. Holidays (rue the day I ever told him I dont get paid when Im away - all I get now is 'if that was me I'd never take a day off'.

As you can see, my dear old man has some strange ideas!!! Like I said, he's got so much in the bank even my Mrs would have a hard time spending it...
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X