• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Supermarkets 'to be banned from discounting multiple wine bottles'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supermarkets 'to be banned from discounting multiple wine bottles'

Link

Supermarkets will be banned from discounting multiple bottles of wine under Government plans to be set out within days.
    Why?

Ministers believe such promotions give customers a financial incentive to purchase more alcohol than they intended to buy and should be banned.
    Yes, of course they do & I stick want I don't want in the wine rack for a later date.

The plans, being driven by David Cameron, have raised fears that middle-class households will bear the brunt of measures supposedly aimed at troublemaking youths and other anti-social drinkers.
    Quite. All those troublemaking youths who tear up their local town centre after having downed 6 bottles of Sancerre at a knockdown price.

Ministers believe banning such promotions may bring in further revenue to hmrc and squeeze the middle a little more
    Ftfy
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Seems odd. With the way the economy is the only solace the plebs have is drink. If they start getting that priced out of their reach they might start protesting.

Comment

Looking at shoppers descending on half price deals + 25% bulk discounts, I would not be surprised if some village shopkeepers stock up.

Unintended consequences...
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Perhaps the Government is also worried about the rate at which offies and pubs are closing down.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Perhaps the Government is also worried about the rate at which offies and pubs are closing down.
            Yes I expect that must be it.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

£4 for a pint of Stella at my local pub or £3.75 for a bottle of Semillon Chardonay after a 25% off for 6 bottles from Tesco.

Mmmmm. Pub or stay home...
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Have no fear - they will just start selling 6 bottles of wine in their original box, a bit like Majestic. This is a different product and therefore is not being discounted.

Thinking of Majestic - do they still insist on buying a minimum of 12 bottles? Haven't been there for years as I prefer to buy one of 2 otherwise I keep drinking them. Which makes the gov's policy QED.

Actually - I'm a reformed minor alcoholic. As in someone who used to have a little drink most nights. There's been a bottle on the rack for a 10 days now - and I haven't touched it. I feel much more clear of head in the mornings and most of all the wallet notices the difference! Given that alchol is mostly tax, then not drinking is good in my book.
                Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Economic depression....prohibition....all sounds rather familiar.

How about the govt concentrate on the economy, jobs, immigration, the farce known as the EU etc and leave nannying to New Labour?

Comment

I don't think this counts as prohibition DP. Surely you don't buy your wine from Tesco anyway.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X