Supermarkets 'to be banned from discounting multiple wine bottles' Supermarkets 'to be banned from discounting multiple wine bottles'
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 21

Banned

wurzel is too good to be a permie

Default Supermarkets 'to be banned from discounting multiple wine bottles'

Link

Supermarkets will be banned from discounting multiple bottles of wine under Government plans to be set out within days.
    Why?

Ministers believe such promotions give customers a financial incentive to purchase more alcohol than they intended to buy and should be banned.
    Yes, of course they do & I stick want I don't want in the wine rack for a later date.

The plans, being driven by David Cameron, have raised fears that middle-class households will bear the brunt of measures supposedly aimed at troublemaking youths and other anti-social drinkers.
    Quite. All those troublemaking youths who tear up their local town centre after having downed 6 bottles of Sancerre at a knockdown price.

Super poster

Ruprect is too good to be a permie

Ministers believe banning such promotions may bring in further revenue to hmrc and squeeze the middle a little more
    Ftfy
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Seems odd. With the way the economy is the only solace the plebs have is drink. If they start getting that priced out of their reach they might start protesting.

Super poster

speling bee 's job has never been outsourced

Looking at shoppers descending on half price deals + 25% bulk discounts, I would not be surprised if some village shopkeepers stock up.

Unintended consequences...
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

More fingers than teeth

OwlHoot - scorchio!

Perhaps the Government is also worried about the rate at which offies and pubs are closing down.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Super poster

speling bee 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Perhaps the Government is also worried about the rate at which offies and pubs are closing down.
    Yes I expect that must be it.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

My post count is Majestic

MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

£4 for a pint of Stella at my local pub or £3.75 for a bottle of Semillon Chardonay after a 25% off for 6 bottles from Tesco.

Mmmmm. Pub or stay home...
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

More time posting than coding

IR35FanClub has no reputation

Nearer than I used to be, but not close enough.

Have no fear - they will just start selling 6 bottles of wine in their original box, a bit like Majestic. This is a different product and therefore is not being discounted.

Thinking of Majestic - do they still insist on buying a minimum of 12 bottles? Haven't been there for years as I prefer to buy one of 2 otherwise I keep drinking them. Which makes the gov's policy QED.

Actually - I'm a reformed minor alcoholic. As in someone who used to have a little drink most nights. There's been a bottle on the rack for a 10 days now - and I haven't touched it. I feel much more clear of head in the mornings and most of all the wallet notices the difference! Given that alchol is mostly tax, then not drinking is good in my book.
    Signed sealed and delivered.

Richer than sasguru

DimPrawn is a fount of knowledge

Economic depression....prohibition....all sounds rather familiar.

How about the govt concentrate on the economy, jobs, immigration, the farce known as the EU etc and leave nannying to New Labour?
    Three-and-a-half years, two extensions, seven defections, 21 deselections, three prime ministers, countless amendments, two prorogations, one Supreme Court judgement, 66 million Brits losing the will to live and were still at square one...

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

I don't think this counts as prohibition DP. Surely you don't buy your wine from Tesco anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing