• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

War Chest and divorce

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War Chest and divorce

How's the CUK forum on giving advice on divorce, surely some people on here have been screwed over at least once?

I set up my LtdCo. after separation but still married. The ex has now gone into hiding and not answering any letters from solicitors or the court so can't get the decree's through the system. During this time i've been keeping my war chest in the company account and could have a few more years of deposits making a tidy sum before the financial separation is completed.

During the financial separation would she have the chance to argue that half of my war chest should go to her as half of the assets? My lawyer thinks this would be seen as a short marriage as she left me within a year but now its passed the 2 year stage and still no divorce.

My plan was to pay off the mortgage with it but can't as her names still on the deeds. I suppose it would be obvious if i gave my mother a big present in the form of cash. Any other legal ideas to protect my savings? My lawyer has refused to give me advice on the subject as it could be seen as unprofessional.

Or do i take a year off and go and spend it all?

Originally posted by Scoi View Post
    My lawyer has refused to give me advice on the subject as it could be seen as unprofessional.
    Hmm, I would suggest you need a new lawyer, advising you on how to distribute your assets to your benefit whilst charging sky high fees seems to be their reason for existence.

Personally I would take the year off is there are no kids to support. Get some fine threads, magical experiences and eat in great restaurants.
    Last edited by vetran; 22 October 2012, 08:50.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

How's the CUK forum on giving advice on divorce, surely some people on here have been screwed over at least once?

I set up my LtdCo. after separation but still married. The ex has now gone into hiding and not answering any letters from solicitors or the court so can't get the decree's through the system. During this time i've been keeping my war chest in the company account and could have a few more years of deposits making a tidy sum before the financial separation is completed.

During the financial separation would she have the chance to argue that half of my war chest should go to her as half of the assets? My lawyer thinks this would be seen as a short marriage as she left me within a year but now its passed the 2 year stage and still no divorce.

My plan was to pay off the mortgage with it but can't as her names still on the deeds. I suppose it would be obvious if i gave my mother a big present in the form of cash. Any other legal ideas to protect my savings? My lawyer has refused to give me advice on the subject as it could be seen as unprofessional.

Or do i take a year off and go and spend it all?
      Take a year off and spend it all. Why work your nuts off when shes going to have half of it anyway possibly.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Take it out of the company, hide it under several mattresses and say that you spent on fine wines and expensive restaurants.

She can't take what isn't there.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Take it out of the company, hide it under several mattresses and say that you spent on fine wines and expensive restaurants.

She can't take what isn't there.
          I am currently taking some out per week as cash or buying vouchers at wickes etc so i have funds ready for refurbishing the property but obviously this is risky should i get a break in/fire etc. Also paying the girlfriend rent per week. Running out of ideas now i have bought everything i need/want. Its a tough life this contracting business.

Comment

Having been there, I can tell you she is entitled to half of it.

My advice? Blow the lot on hookers, coke and fast cars 'cos one way or another, you're gonna get royally fecked in court.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post

Blow the lot on hookers, coke and fast cars 'cos one way or another, you're gonna get royally fecked in court.
              And once that's done what should i waste the rest on?

Comment

I am currently taking some out per week as cash or buying vouchers at wickes etc so i have funds ready for refurbishing the property but obviously this is risky should i get a break in/fire etc. Also paying the girlfriend rent per week. Running out of ideas now i have bought everything i need/want. Its a tough life this contracting business.
                one hopes you are doing this with cash?

if there is a paper trail it can be followed.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I am currently taking some out per week as cash or buying vouchers at wickes etc so i have funds ready for refurbishing the property
                  not sure how that shows up on the company's accounts.

I meant, take a big massive whopping dividend, pay this into your personal account from which you then draw large wodges of cash.

I'm sure you have family who have mattresses which you could use in addition to your own. Personally, I'd not get the GF involved.

Comment

Card purchases at shops as spending a bit a week in shops is reasonable expenditure
                    Transfer for rent - where else am i going to live

Could go paperless but withdrawing so much per week raises more questions

Comment

Working...
                    X