How much clout does Parliament have? How much clout does Parliament have?
Posts 1 to 5 of 5

TykeLike

SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

Default How much clout does Parliament have?

Not in law making, I think I got that covered already, but when it comes to select committees (of which by my reckoning there is at least 70 over the two houses) calling people to give account in front of them?

Just reading how the CEO of Starbucks is being called in front of a committee to explain why his company paid no corporation tax for three years, I assume if he had done something wrong it would be the Police/HMRC he would be talking to, so can he therefore just tell them to go forth and do one?
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

More fingers than teeth

minestrone is NOT a disguised employee

I would be tempted to tell them to feck off although their brand reputation will be a killer for them if they do.

It is pretty embarrassing that the government have to get the company in to explain the tax laws despite having their accounts filed.

We all know it will descend into "do you think it is right that you pay so little tax" as if tax is some charity fund that should be paid into based on moral obligation.

I would take in a Tolley's tax guide and from the first question start at page 1, continue to the last page and refuse any interruption as I am explaining how UK taxation works.
    Last edited by minestrone; 22nd October 2012 at 10:40.

Banned

Old Hack has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Not in law making, I think I got that covered already, but when it comes to select committees (of which by my reckoning there is at least 70 over the two houses) calling people to give account in front of them?

Just reading how the CEO of Starbucks is being called in front of a committee to explain why his company paid no corporation tax for three years, I assume if he had done something wrong it would be the Police/HMRC he would be talking to, so can he therefore just tell them to go forth and do one?
    Can't make people appear, and can't punish those who lie in front of them. I think some senior exec from Kraft refused to turn up to one. Anyone remember Galloway in front of the Senate in the States? Pretty much the same thing here. Apparently, they are looking at new laws to make it illegal to refuse, and to lie. But there are no current ones.

They're pretty much as good as tits on a bull.

Super poster

The Spartan has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    They're pretty much as good as tits on a bull.
    In Scooter we trust

Umbrella Queen

LisaContractorUmbrella 's job has never been outsourced

Not much clout at all but the media have which is why they won't refuse the 'summons'
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015