• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web services - anyone heard of this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web services - anyone heard of this?

Anyone heard of this concept. Currently reviewing technical design documents which seem to talk a lot about them. Are they a 'thing' or is this just developer waffle.

No whoosh from me.

Comment

An example of a Web Service is the "Log Out" button on the top menu bar, when YOU press it you will do this part of the web a service

EDIT:

Mods, can this please be moved to General so it can be issued the contempt it deserves?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

They've been around for quite some time. They're a 'thing' in that they allow you to encapsulate different parts of your site in discrete components.

Last clientCo used them a lot.

Comment

A web service can be almost anything. Generally speaking it's a web-based application (that is, it serves up content over HTTP) which is used to perform a service of some kind to other web-based applications.

For example, in the industry I work in, almost everything is a web-service. This is the way things are moving, especially with PCI compliance and security, you no longer have websites talking directly to databases so now web-sites talk to the application tier which in turn talks to the DB tier.

Comment

These are adding a huge percentage onto estimates, what would the impact be of removing them on an average project? Could they be replaced with common libraries to reduce effort?

Comment

Your questions don't make any sense really.

These are adding a huge percentage onto estimates,
              If it's a greenfield development, I can't for the life of me see why they add a percentage unless the developers are using the project to learn about web services.

what would the impact be of removing them on an average project?
              What's an average project? What industry? Who is working on the project? What is the duration of the project? What is the specification?

It's not possible to answer that without seeing the design documents and specification.

Could they be replaced with common libraries to reduce effort?
              Maybe, maybe not. Who knows? We don't know your architecture, environment etc.

I'm going to call Troll on this.

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
                I'm going to call Troll on this.
                Minestrone and I beat you to it
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Minestrone and I beat you to it
                  I'm a bit slow today. Had a heavy weekend.

Comment

I had to change some web service code just there, add a drop down to an existing html form that sends an extra attribute to an existing web service.

20 fookin' files I had to check in there.

Someone needs shootin'

Comment

Working...
                    X