• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ceefax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceefax

Originally posted by zeitghost

Does this mean that the Ceefax receiver I bought for the spectrum is now useless?
    no, there is good eating on those speccy interfaces. Or you could pop it in a bamboo tube for the next time Tiberius pops over.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's OK, you can still get your CEEFAX fix. Just visit any website that employs those dreadful kreatif developer/designer types that imagine you require a special needs version of their website on your fully-functional 2012 smart phone. You'll find yourself immersed in HUGE PRINT, un-zoomable, graphics-light content before you know it.

The 'best' ones don't even hide a link way down at the bottom of their page any more to get to the main site in the hope you'll miss it and revel in their genius. Too many people have found that link now, and so they just drop you into the design travesty that is their mobile version whether you want it or not. Even when the "full site" link does exist, they also haven't heard of cookies (which weren't invented in 1978, where they take their inspiration from), and so repeatedly catapult you back into their crappy 'mobile' version, even after you've told them you want the full site repeatedly.

Their crapfest is also available on most Android tablets, using which seems indistinguishable to them from a request to view the ZX Spectrum version of their site. So......goodbye CEEFAX, hello MOBILE.

Comment

Does anyone remember the Teletext quiz called Bamboozle (on ITV Teletext not Ceefax)?
        My claim to fame is that I re-wrote the back-end code for that a few years ago
        It never worked the same again...

Comment

I worked on Prestel, does anyone remember it? A sort of pay-as-you-go version of Ceefax.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
            Does anyone remember the Teletext quiz called Bamboozle (on ITV Teletext not Ceefax)?
            Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            I worked on Prestel, does anyone remember it? A sort of pay-as-you-go version of Ceefax.
            I worked on WAP (Worthless Application Protocol) applications.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Yes I do remember Bamboozle - that was quality! Until you broke it

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              I worked on WAP (Worthless Application Protocol) applications.
              I did a few WAP sites when they first came out - complete waste of time!

Comment

That was on Channel 4, not ITV
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                  Yes I do remember Bamboozle - that was quality! Until you broke it

I did a few WAP sites when they first came out - complete waste of time!
                  Yeah, but the contract paid for a damn nice car.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    That was on Channel 4, not ITV
                    And if you are feeling nostalgic

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bamb...384407005?mt=8
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X