• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some things never change!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some things never change!

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.

Cicero.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

sasguru should learn to stop calling everyone cretin. atw should get a new sofa. RH and MF should work out their differences in a room.

Comment

Cicero for PM!!!! Sure he' be as good as some we've had, despite being a bit dead.

sasguru should learn to stop calling everyone cretin
      Agree. Looked in here the other day and he was doing it for the umpteenth time, in response to a perfectly sensible comment by d00000000000000gh. Permanently on the ignore list as far as I'm concerned.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Cicero for PM!!!! Sure he' be as good as some we've had, due to being a bit dead.
        ftfy
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I was in the back of a chariot the other day, you should have heard the chariot driver bang on -

them bloomin Visigoths. comin over here taking all our jobs and wimmin. And that Cicero. what a goon, ending Macedonian boom and bust my @rse

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            I was in the back of a chariot the other day, you should have heard the banging going on
            Knowing you it was the gay saunas in London.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Cicero for PM!!!! Sure he' be as good as some we've had, despite being a bit dead.
              should get Jimmy's vote!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.

Cicero.
                Urban legend; apparently the original quote was "The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall."

That is all.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  Urban legend; apparently the original quote was "The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall."

That is all.
                  Apparently it was made up by some chap called Taylor Caldwell in a fictional account of Cicero's life: Cicero on fixing the economy - snopes.com

EDIT: and it looks like Taylor wasn't actually a chap

Taylor Caldwell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by NickFitz; 26 October 2012, 11:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                    ... People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.

Cicero.
                    Politicians have always been the same - all piss & wind. As Cicero must have well known, there was hardly any point in freeborn plebeian Romans (the people he was obviously referring to) working, as imported slaves were available to work practically free besides their bed and board.

Substitute immigrants, and the same applies to many people today.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X