• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone used CrossCountry trains recently?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone used CrossCountry trains recently?

Looking to travel all the way from Durham - Penzance (9 hour direct ) They mention they've rolled WiFi out to most/all of their long-distance trains, free in 1st-class, but I wondered if it actually works.

It's something like £90 each way STD, £230 each way 1st but if I could get a sensible amount of work done I could effectively pay off the ticket. I don't think I'd get much work done in cattle-class, and I would rather work in 1st than sit about in STD.

No free booze though on XC... outrageous.

Any recent travellers on their long-distance trains care to comment?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Looking to travel all the way from Durham - Penzance (9 hour direct ) They mention they've rolled WiFi out to most/all of their long-distance trains, free in 1st-class, but I wondered if it actually works.

It's something like £90 each way STD, £230 each way 1st but if I could get a sensible amount of work done I could effectively pay off the ticket. I don't think I'd get much work done in cattle-class, and I would rather work in 1st than sit about in STD.

Caught one last Saturday. It advertised wifi on the window (cattle class) but my phone didn't pick it up.

I think others have suggested sitting near first...

Comment

Did Birmingham to Newcastle recently. Client paying standard class. Had a table to work on and not that busy. Paid for wifi. It wasn't great. Very patchy coverage, just as I had with my mobile broadband. Bring a box of wine and you should be fine.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

What's the price of a return? I thought that was much cheaper than 2 one way tickets.

I use the wi-fi on FGW every morning.

It's free in 1st class but since don't have a 1st class ticket, I stand in the inter-carriage area between 1st and second performing a balancing act with lappy in one hand and venti latte in t'other, bumping into my fellow passengers and spilling a lot of coffee as I go

Comment

I'm wanting WiFi for work use, and it's a 9-hour trip, so I think I probably would have to simply travel 1st. I normally work via RDP into client's local machine but my suspicion is this will be totally unworkable.

I'll probably have to make sure I have some work stored locally if I want to get billable hours out of it!

Comment

I connected to it, but was put off when I realised how expensive it was.

Good luck with remote desktop.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Has the flight from Durham Tees to Newquay stopped?

Also wouldn't a 3g mifi wireless hotspot be cheaper (and more reliable).
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I was delighted about the price of the trains on my last visit to the UK, which was last week actually. An excellent anti-pleb system. Just make the whole system so damn expensive that filthy oiks can't afford it.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'm wanting WiFi for work use, and it's a 9-hour trip, so I think I probably would have to simply travel 1st. I normally work via RDP into client's local machine but my suspicion is this will be totally unworkable.

I'll probably have to make sure I have some work stored locally if I want to get billable hours out of it!
                  have done this on the virgin west coast and it works just fine - no exp of xcountry but the concept is sound

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Has the flight from Durham Tees to Newquay stopped?
                    Not sure but will check.

edit: best laugh I've had all day http://www.skyscanner.net/flights/mm...mber-2012.html

Comment

Working...
                    X