Anyone used CrossCountry trains recently? Anyone used CrossCountry trains recently?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 12

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

Default Anyone used CrossCountry trains recently?

Looking to travel all the way from Durham - Penzance (9 hour direct ) They mention they've rolled WiFi out to most/all of their long-distance trains, free in 1st-class, but I wondered if it actually works.

It's something like £90 each way STD, £230 each way 1st but if I could get a sensible amount of work done I could effectively pay off the ticket. I don't think I'd get much work done in cattle-class, and I would rather work in 1st than sit about in STD.

No free booze though on XC... outrageous.

Any recent travellers on their long-distance trains care to comment?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

TPAFKAk2p2

mudskipper is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Looking to travel all the way from Durham - Penzance (9 hour direct ) They mention they've rolled WiFi out to most/all of their long-distance trains, free in 1st-class, but I wondered if it actually works.

It's something like £90 each way STD, £230 each way 1st but if I could get a sensible amount of work done I could effectively pay off the ticket. I don't think I'd get much work done in cattle-class, and I would rather work in 1st than sit about in STD.

Caught one last Saturday. It advertised wifi on the window (cattle class) but my phone didn't pick it up.

I think others have suggested sitting near first...

Super poster

speling bee 's job has never been outsourced

Did Birmingham to Newcastle recently. Client paying standard class. Had a table to work on and not that busy. Paid for wifi. It wasn't great. Very patchy coverage, just as I had with my mobile broadband. Bring a box of wine and you should be fine.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Banned

Ted Goat has no reputation

What's the price of a return? I thought that was much cheaper than 2 one way tickets.

I use the wi-fi on FGW every morning.

It's free in 1st class but since don't have a 1st class ticket, I stand in the inter-carriage area between 1st and second performing a balancing act with lappy in one hand and venti latte in t'other, bumping into my fellow passengers and spilling a lot of coffee as I go

d000hg - scorchio!

I'm wanting WiFi for work use, and it's a 9-hour trip, so I think I probably would have to simply travel 1st. I normally work via RDP into client's local machine but my suspicion is this will be totally unworkable.

I'll probably have to make sure I have some work stored locally if I want to get billable hours out of it!

Lord of the Vectras

VectraMan - scorchio!

I connected to it, but was put off when I realised how expensive it was.

Good luck with remote desktop.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

bored now

eek is a fount of knowledge

Has the flight from Durham Tees to Newquay stopped?

Also wouldn't a 3g mifi wireless hotspot be cheaper (and more reliable).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Obstinate Git

Mich the Tester is NOT a disguised employee

I was delighted about the price of the trains on my last visit to the UK, which was last week actually. An excellent anti-pleb system. Just make the whole system so damn expensive that filthy oiks can't afford it.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Double Godlike!

original PM is a fount of knowledge

I'm wanting WiFi for work use, and it's a 9-hour trip, so I think I probably would have to simply travel 1st. I normally work via RDP into client's local machine but my suspicion is this will be totally unworkable.

I'll probably have to make sure I have some work stored locally if I want to get billable hours out of it!
    have done this on the virgin west coast and it works just fine - no exp of xcountry but the concept is sound

d000hg - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Has the flight from Durham Tees to Newquay stopped?
    Not sure but will check.

edit: best laugh I've had all day http://www.skyscanner.net/flights/mm...mber-2012.html