• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poorly back :(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poorly back :(

Away on budget airline to the sunny warm place last weekend, got terrible sciatica, but felt worse - to the point I had to lie at the back of the plane on the floor and could not sit down. Walking was very problematic over the weekend holiday.

GP when I came back - fasting bloods, physio within a week, and booked into the MRI scanner, and packed off meanwhile with stratospheric codeine, sodium diclofenic and diazepam. Settling a little, so hoping just a muscle in spasm.

Anyone got any ideas on a back friendly chair I could take to my next clientco to make the envisaged long hours more comfortable, and to get me a little sympathy to hopefully avoid the long hours that they are expecting?

Kneeling Chair with Wood Frame Colour: Charcoal: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Is that you Gricer?
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
      Away on budget airline to the sunny warm place last weekend, got terrible sciatica, but felt worse - to the point I had to lie at the back of the plane on the floor and could not sit down. Walking was very problematic over the weekend holiday.

GP when I came back - fasting bloods, physio within a week, and booked into the MRI scanner, and packed off meanwhile with stratospheric codeine, sodium diclofenic and diazepam. Settling a little, so hoping just a muscle in spasm.

Anyone got any ideas on a back friendly chair I could take to my next clientco to make the envisaged long hours more comfortable, and to get me a little sympathy to hopefully avoid the long hours that they are expecting?

Get well soon Wilmsly!

P.S. This chair cures back pain apparently.

Comment

Get one of those new Microsoft Surface touch-tablet computers and simply use it lying on your back in the office. Sorted.

On a more serious note...

I had terrible back problems a few years ago. My advice is do not make this bad situation even worse. I stuck at a contract for 6 months in an office with my back problems when I shouldn't have done. It took me nearly two years before I could walk properly again without intense pain and zero feeling in my legs - and six months of that two years was off work by choice, just in order to get myself better. Be very careful.
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

My last and current employer (both global / large places) both made a point to use Herman Miller chairs - they're awesome and very customisable and can assist with your posture when sitting. Offers good support and comes in a number of different sizes to suit.

Comment

Try a spin class?
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I had back problems and I went to a chiropractor who sorted them über fast!

I also had golfer's elbow and tennis elbow in the same elbow at the same time and it got so painful I struggled to pick up a full pint by the rim. My chiro fixed that too with some manipulation whereas the doc (after he stopped laughing about me not playing tennis or golf) was talking about deep injections etc.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Try a spin class?
                Spin classes in all seriousness really do help, as does yoga, and swimming to keep the workable parts moving.

Good point about the herman chairs - will get me own and take it onto client site if needed, for the sake of a couple of days money life is too short not to. Any ideas on where to get one at a good price, other than Ebay etc?....

Comment

I occasionally get dreadful back problems. The worst I've had was a period of around four months last year when I couldn't walk properly and found myself falling over unexpectedly a few times with numb legs. This year, touch wood, I've only had about two days of it flaring up.

My only recommendation is Ibuprofen. Keep it with you, and take it as soon as you feel the first twinge of pain coming on. It'll stop a full-scale inflammation that'll be self-perpetuating developing. You can get supermarket brand Ibuprofen for much less than they cost in the chemist, and they do the same job.

In terms of a back-friendly chair, I did work with a Dutch guy once briefly that brought what I can only describe as a space hopper on wheels in to use as his office chair. It had minimal back support, and so it forced you to sit up straight. It was very hard to balance, though, since you were basically sitting on a soft sphere. He was a very tall guy, and he reckoned it helped his back. It didn't make any difference to mine, though.

Comment

Did you ever try a Tens machine Gentile (or anyone else for that matter)? The wife got one recently, I can't work out if it's real medicine or pseudoscience claptrap.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X