• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much of a rate tart are you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London Smunden. Did it last year, got more money than normal but spent more too. Had to endure sweat and stink of the tube, buses stuck in traffic, Friday night madness at Euston. Not worth it for the extra rate. I did enjoy the company of my landlady who I rented a room off as a Mon-Fri lodger. (Not like that you pervs). Much better than a hotel room and had full run of her flat for £450 / month.

What I found with London is there's lots of nice stuff down there, but its as much use as a chocolate tea pot if you are knackered and just go home, cook, eat, wash up, bit of googling and then bed. No different to anywhere else in the UK except the beer is more expensive. I've had much more fun on gigs - and it's all dependent on the team you are working with, not which city you are in.

So for me - being able to get back to my own bed and all the toys I've acquired is much better for me. Could do without the commute at all really. But that's what motorbikes were invented for.
    Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Moolah.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        Seems there's not much financial love for testers except in London and Europe
        Bummer. Weren't you working in the South West for a bit though?
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Sure was my first contract was just outside Bath it only paid 250 a day but it was a start and I jumped straight from a permie job but now I'm a lot wiser and realise just how much I'm worth
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Fair enough.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I think London will be my next stop after here and boy am I going to live it up there, Zurich is to sedate for me not to mention expensive I could kill for a steak
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
                What I found with London is there's lots of nice stuff down there, but its as much use as a chocolate tea pot if you are knackered and just go home, cook, eat, wash up, bit of googling and then bed. No different to anywhere else in the UK except the beer is more expensive. I've had much more fun on gigs - and it's all dependent on the team you are working with, not which city you are in.

So for me - being able to get back to my own bed and all the toys I've acquired is much better for me. Could do without the commute at all really. But that's what motorbikes were invented for.
                Couldn't agree more with this - there is so much going on in London, it only gets you frustrated because you can't participate...

Comment

Work hard, party harder I say
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                  X